Sway Bar Broke

nissan
altima

I have a '08 Altima Coupe 3.5L. It has a little over 55,000 miles on it. The rear sway bar broke about a foot behind the rear passenger tire. It is hanging about 3 inches from the ground. It is in the shop getting repaired. They said it was a clean break, and when I looked under the car I could tell it was too.

I just wanted to know how this could have happened. I didn?t hit anything. I noticed it when I was walking out to my car one day, and know that I didn?t notice it in the morning. Anyone have any ideas?

The reason they warranty a new car is because even with the great improvements on quality assurance, bad parts slip through. I’d say this is just such a case, and the rear bar had a defect that slipped through the system. Odds are the replacement bar will not have a similar defect, and will last the life of the car.

Even though the car is an '08 model, since it has 55,000 miles on the odometer I suspect that the bumper-to-bumper warranty has run out, so the replacement will be on the OP’s dime. But, as BK said, it is very unlikely that the replacement part will also be defective.

If it was a clean break on a car that new it was a flaw in the metal.