SUV won’t go into gears

Hi, I have a Jeep Liberty that will not go into gear. When I start it I can’t put it into gears but when the Jeep is off, I can.

What could be the problem? I had two mechanics check it, the first one said. I need a new clutch kit and the second one said I need a transfer kit.

Would could be the cause that my Jeep won’t go into gear?

Is this a manual transmission? If it is and you change gears only when the engine is not running, thatbis likely a clutch problem. But I can’t touch the Jeep from out here on the internet. Maybe get a 3rd opinion.

1 Like

Yes, I have a manual transmission. I had to mechanic check it and their saying I burned the clutch out. I took it to the mechanic today to get it fix and he saying that it may be the transfer case.

Lol funny, if only if that was possible.

Check into whether the hydraulics are working correctly…low fluid, leaking slave, etc.

Okay. The mechanic said he’ll let me know tomorrow what the problem is.

Let’s say what you said in the last message is what was happening. The hydraulics are working, leaking slave. Would that be a transfer case problem or clutch problem?

And thank you once again. I’m just trying to figure out whats wrong with my Jeep and so I won’t get screwed over my the mechanic.

What year is this Jeep?

Tester

I would suggest if you don’t trust this mechanic not to screw you, you need a new mechanic. One more honest than this one.

Not being able to put it in gear when running is more likely a problem with the clutch master or slave cylinders, or not enough fluid because of a leak. I don’t see how the transfer case would be involved. A worn out clutch disc will allow shifting, but you won’t go anywhere, the engine will just rev.

2 Likes

2003 Jeep Liberty sport

Oh, okay. Question, what does the transfer case have to do anyway and how would it not be involved?

So basically I would need a clutch kit replacement or a slave cylinder.

If you are that distrustful of the mechanic, why not take the Jeep to a mechanic you do trust?

If the slave cylinder is internal, I would have it done at the same time as the clutch.
As far as the transfer case, I don’t know. Is it shifted electrically?

1 Like

The OP has not clearly said what it means that he cannot put it into gear.
Questions:

1. If you start when in neutral, is it grinding that makes it impossible to shift?..or does it feel very, very stiff?
  2. If you have the car off, then put it into reverse, then start the car with the clutch floored…does the car creep backwards? (Do this in an open area.)
  3. Is your clutch slave cylinder internal or external?

Your absolutely right about that.

“ The OP has not clearly said what it means that he cannot put it into gear.
Questions:

1. If you start when in neutral, is it grinding that makes it impossible to shift?..or does it feel very, very stiff?
  2. If you have the car off, then put it into reverse, then start the car with the clutch floored…does the car creep backwards? (Do this in an open area.)
  3. Is your clutch slave cylinder internal or external?”

Yes, when I start it in neutral, I can’t put it into gear.

When I start the car in a gear and when trying to shift out into another gear, it won’t work.

I’m not sure slave cylinder internal or external. I’m pretty sure it’s internal.

Question 2: does the car creep even though the clutch is fully depressed?

Good news: RockAuto pictures your slave cylinder and it is external. Repairs are easier to diagnose and are much cheaper.
A good mechanic can easily identify a problem with the clutch hydraulic system. RockAuto says this system is hard to bleed, so you might have acquired an air bubble which would show the symptoms you describe.

The quick way to describe your problem is that the clutch is not fully disengaging, even with the pedal to the floor. While this might be an internal problem with the pressure plate or the clutch discs, you would definitely want to rule out the hydraulic system first. A bubble in the system would act as if the clutch is not fully depressed.

Okay. Now I got the clutch fix. Now the car won’t stay on. The mechanic is saying it’s the exhaust pipe.

Their was nothing wrong with my car starting and staying on, now it won’t stay on.

P.s. lesson learned.

There has to be a communication problem or this is not a real mechanic .

1 Like