CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Manual car revs but doesn’t go anywhere and doesnt stall when in gear and the clutch is not pressed in

I have a 6 speed rear wheel drive 2005 Jeep Liberty. I just replaced the clutch about a week ago and it was running great until last night. I was slowing down for a red light, and when I put it in neutral the transmission made a clunking noise. when I shifted into first gear and tried to go I didn’t go anywhere but the engine just reved. I also noticed that when I had it in gear I was able to take my foot off of the clutch and the car wouldn’t stall. I do have clutch pressure. I was only a couple houses away from mine so I pushed it home and when I did I realized that every couple of feet there was a popping sound that sounded like it was somewhere in the transmission. I was planning on taking a look at the clutch to see if I had installed it wrong, but if not, I don’t know where to go from there, and if anyone knows anything I could check first without having to tear out the transmission that would be great.
Thanks

Have you looked under the Jeep? The drive shaft may have thrown a U-joint. But then if you hung the transmission input in the clutch before installing the bolts the disc may be separated at the hub. Those are what come to mind first.

3 Likes

It was late last night so I didn’t look at it close yet, and to be honest I didn’t even think about checking anything related to the drive shaft until you said something. I’ll check that out once I get off work.
Thanks

Replacing the clutch on a car that old can come with additional needed parts. You might need a new master cylinder or slave cylinder, and if you need one, you might as well replace both.

It did end up throwing a U joint. I got home from work and fixed it and it seems to be running correctly now

3 Likes