Manual car revs but doesn’t go anywhere and doesnt stall when in gear and the clutch is not pressed in

I have a 6 speed rear wheel drive 2005 Jeep Liberty. I just replaced the clutch about a week ago and it was running great until last night. I was slowing down for a red light, and when I put it in neutral the transmission made a clunking noise. when I shifted into first gear and tried to go I didn’t go anywhere but the engine just reved. I also noticed that when I had it in gear I was able to take my foot off of the clutch and the car wouldn’t stall. I do have clutch pressure. I was only a couple houses away from mine so I pushed it home and when I did I realized that every couple of feet there was a popping sound that sounded like it was somewhere in the transmission. I was planning on taking a look at the clutch to see if I had installed it wrong, but if not, I don’t know where to go from there, and if anyone knows anything I could check first without having to tear out the transmission that would be great.
Thanks

Have you looked under the Jeep? The drive shaft may have thrown a U-joint. But then if you hung the transmission input in the clutch before installing the bolts the disc may be separated at the hub. Those are what come to mind first.

3 Likes

It was late last night so I didn’t look at it close yet, and to be honest I didn’t even think about checking anything related to the drive shaft until you said something. I’ll check that out once I get off work.
Thanks

Replacing the clutch on a car that old can come with additional needed parts. You might need a new master cylinder or slave cylinder, and if you need one, you might as well replace both.

It did end up throwing a U joint. I got home from work and fixed it and it seems to be running correctly now

3 Likes