Sun Roof

I have a 19996 Subaru Legacy GT and all of the sudden the sun roof started opening on it’s own. I park the car. Ensure the sun roof is closed and come back later or even the next morning and my sun roof is wide open!! Today it’s not such a big deal, but I live in CO at about 8,000 and one morning I’m liable to find 2 feet of snow in my car!

Is this a difficult problem to fix? Costly to repair?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

~~John

I don’t know this car, but can the sunroof be opened from the remote? If so, are you sure the remote isn’t getting hit accidentally in your pocket?

If you haven’t found the problem and snow is forecast, I guess you could pull the fuse, although that’s probably not something you want to do every day.

Thank you for your prompt reply!!

The sun roof cannot be open by the remote. I normally leave the main set of keys in the car and lock it with just a door key that I keep with me. I thought about the fuse approach and it is high on the potenial resolution list.
~~John

I’d guess that the switch is the most likely culprit here. Can it be replaced at a reasonable price to see if that makes a difference?

I’ll have to check on a price. Do you think it’s as simple as a switch?

Do you leave the keys in the ignition?

Have you tried leaving them out of the ignition?

While this should make no difference, at least it should disable the circuit and the roof would not open itself even if the rocker switch is defective.