Subaru Outback 2010

Should I buy the 3.0 6-cylinder Outback now, either new or used, or wait for till summer for the 2010 3.6 with a bigger interior and new CVT transmission? Will the mileage be any different? I’d like to save some shekels, but the pre-release publicity for the 2010 is tempting.

Also, any wise words about buying a car in one state (CA) but somehow avoiding the sales tax because I want to new car in order to move to New Hampshire and register it there with no tax?

The proposed 3.6L has a 5 speed automatic not CVT. Only the 4 cylinder models non turbo get a CVT which they anticipate MPG to 23 city/30 highway(excellent for AWD car). Final MPG is unknown until EPA does testing.

The 2009 likely will be sold at incredible prices. My leftover 2005 Legacy GT wagon manual transmission I love was sold invoice - $1500 without negotiation.

Personally I would test drive the 2010, as it is a larger improved car.

If you really have your heart on Subaru join IMBA or one of these http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_discounts.html to buy any Subaru at Invoice - 2% without negotiation. The only catch is you have to wait 6 months after starting membership to gain benefit.

Buy the car in NH to avoid the sales tax.

I am not sure that you can get away without paying sales tax…when you register the car in another state they might tax you! Check first.

Here is a quote from the CA Board of Equalization website:
“Sales of vehicles, vessels, and aircraft by licensed dealers are usually subject to sales tax, for which sales tax reimbursement is collected at the time of purchase… If the first use of the property occurs in California, use tax may apply even if the purchaser is not a resident of the state.”

It mentions no exception to buying and taking the item out of state immediately upon purchase. If “first use” is defined as driving off the dealer lot, you are stuck with the sales tax.

Since the transaction occurred in California first, then it appears sales tax is charged the dealer, who passes the tax on to you on the bill of sale. Technically you are not paying sales tax – you are reimbursing the dealer for the sales tax he is required to pay, as a result of selling tangible personal property in California – hence no exceptions to taking the item out of state. This last explanation is derived from the California DMV FAQs.

There are states, like Missouri, who allow for the purchase of a vehicle with no sales tax being charged, so long as it is taken out of state and the title not registered in Missouri at time of sale. You title and register in your home state, subject to those tax laws.

I don’t ever intend to buy a car in California, so this is my interpretation of the info I could find. If you have any questions at all, contact the local CA DMV office.

Andrew is correct on all counts.

After having owned a '97 Outback and my present '02 Outback, I view the redesigned '10 model as a great improvement over the earlier designs, and I really want one. However, even with a make with superior quality, like Subaru, there can tend to be some “teething” problems with a new car, and with new transmissions like both the CVT and the new 5-speed.

As a result, I will test-drive a 6-cylinder '10 model as soon as I can (can’t wait to try out that 256 hp engine!), but I will probably defer my purchase until the '11 models come out. I learned my lesson on buying a car in the first year of its run by buying one of GM’s infamous X-cars. After that experience, I have vowed to defer my purchase of a new, “clean-sheet” design until at least its second year of production.

The 5 speed auto and 3.6L both are not new. The auto used since 2005 in Tribeca and Turbo & H6 Legacy/Outback. The 3.6L was added to I think in 2006 to make up for the
lack of low end torque and premium fuel recommendation.

I would be leary of the CVT in the first year though.

I have had incredible luck with my 2005 Legacy turbo wagon(first year of current generation) with 65k now. Just scheduled maintenance no unexpected repairs.

The Geological Society of America is also part of their VIP program: http://www.geosociety.org/members/subaru.htm

Personally, I will never buy a car again with a CVT transmission.(2007 Dodge caliber) The absence of shifting is something I could never get over, nor the buzz of the engine at close to max rpm just to excelerate was very annoying. I realize that a car with more horsepower could be better with a cvt, the caliber just didnt cut it. Go drive a Caliber or anything from Nissan and see for yourself if the CVT is for you. This could help make up your mind on whether it is worth it to wait for the new model.