2016 Subaru Outback

Just wanted to get your opinions on the 2016 Subaru Outback. Thank you!

It is a fine car, buying new with warrantee?

Nobody can give you helpful information if you don’t ask right questions. All Subaru vehicles are great but depending on your preferences, they may not. When I got my Forester, I was toying between Outback and Forester, primarily for winter driving. I went to outback forum and asked for their pet peeves, to roughly judge if I will like that vehicle. Then I went and took a test drive.

Finally, bought Forester due to budget. Clocking 3 years on 1st August, not a single complaint.

I am currently driving my third Outback–a 2011 3.6R Limited–and it is the best, most reliable, vehicle that I have ever owned. The 2016 Outback is essentially just a more refined, more highly-developed version of the new Outback design that was introduced for the 2010 model year, and it is a really nice vehicle.

Same answer as your other thread. Pick a vehicle and have a mechanic check it out for you because that is the only opinion that matters. As for Subaru, you said your son bought one ask him.

1 Like

No. I am considering a 2016 Outback with less than 10,000 miles - with a warranty. It is being sold at a dealership and was used as a corporate vehicle.

Thanks, Noelm. I agree that a more specific question would be better.

Thanks VDCdriver. I appreciate your input. Getting feedback from people on this forum is really helpful to me.

Hi Volvo_V70. My son bought a Forester, and he loves his car, but I appreciate the comments of people on this forum - many of whom have an interest in cars and provide me with helpful insights. We will absolutely have the car checked out by a Subaru dealership. Thanks.

I always wonder why a year old vehicle is on a used lot. As for corporate use the ones I am familiar with do 3 year lease periods.

I would want to see the carfax on that car, not to try and muddy the water, but I am not sure I would trust what the salesman says.

Thanks Volvo_70 and Barkydog. I too feel like it is kind of strange to put a car on the lot after just one year. There are 6 cars on the lot with less than 10,000 miles and the Carfax report on a few of them does not list any maintenance. I will ask more about the lease period today.

They come with a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty and are certified vehicles. Do you think it is worthwhile to bring the car to a different Subaru shop if I decide to buy one?

Why not just look at new and you won’t have to worry about previous history. As long as you don’t go crazy with the option list you can get an Outback for 30000.00 or less. Or if you don’t drive more than 12000 a year lease one.

With end-of-the-model-year price reductions over the next couple of months, the OP should be able to cut even more off of that price. The dealers want to move as many 2017s off their lots as possible before the 2018s begin arriving in September.

I would be very surprised if you get that vehicle any cheaper than the brand new one. I spent 3 years searching for a pre-owned Subaru vehicle that is just off the lease and the cost difference of that vehicle and the new one was less than $1000. For that difference, I am not going to buy anybody else’s headache. And I am the person who thinks buying a new vehicle is like throwing money out the window.

Not to scare you but from Forester forum, I have figured, if Subaru vehicle gives you any headache in less than 3 years then it is the problem that even Subaru can not address. Whatever be the reason. I have learnt not to trust warranty. If your dealer is good, no worries but in my experience, most of them are not. They find a way to dodge the work.

I strongly suggest to check Outback boards to get the dealership review as well. And if you are in New England/tristate region, send me a PM. The dealership I bought my Forester from will give you the cheapest price you can find locally, and I do not make a dime on this recommendation.

@VDCdriver From what I learnt while shopping Forester, Subaru dealers are in no rush to sell their inventory. As a matter of fact, they are always in short on inventory. Many of the dealers I went to around the same time 3 years ago had only display cars and test drive vehicles. And the dealers who have inventory, well, you will quickly know why they have a surplus. I am talking abt NorthEast, don’t know abt rest of the country.

@little_debbie Check cars101.com to figure out MSRP of the trim of your choice. Then check truecar.com. I got ~$1500 below TrueCar price. Oh and make sure to get EyeSight. Mine is older version than what you will have on 2016 or newer, but its awesome.

Great vehicle if you are meticulous about the maintenance. Our hiking and ski club has 5 members with Subarus and they are very happy owners. All are fastidious about caring for their cars.

You may well be correct, especially in view of how fast those cars sell nowadays.
I can’t tell you from personal experience, because I always custom-order mine in order to get the exact color and the exact options that I want. Besides not settling for anything other than exactly what I want, it also gives me a somewhat unique vehicle because some of the options that I order are ordered by very few people.

Wouldn’t be simpler to just use the build it yourself feature on the Subaru web site?

1 Like

It doesn’t appear as if anyone gave you an actual opinion on a 2016 Outback, so that said, I have a 2017 Outback which is essentially the same car. I do like my car,but it does have some quirks. The transmission takes some getting used to. There is what has been called an “elastic band effect” because of the variable automatic transmission (VAT). The only issue I have with the VAT is that when I’m on a hill and shift from reverse to drive the car rolls back more than a regular AT. The Outback is also very noisy on the highway with the windows down, and it is somewhat bouncy on roads that are mildly uneven. My car has the 2-5L engine. It is quite peppy, but does make strange noises which I have been told are common to all Subarus. The only time I’ve driven in winter conditions was a trip to Bend, Oregon (from San Francisco). The highway was partially covered with ice and snow for a thirty or so mile stretch. The car drove very well and braking was good. I found that I had to buy those little blind spot mirrors because the Outback does have an issue with blind spots more so than other cars I’ve owned. I do like the car, but I will probably trade it in in another 2 or 3 years for another Outback with more options. As far as price goes, Outbacks in the San Francisco area go for a premium. I don’t know about the rest of the country.

Place left foot on brake pedal on hill, shift into drive and put right foot on accelerator pedal. ease off brake will applying pressure to accelerator. Bingo, and away you go without rolling backwards.