Stupid Car Commercials

@GeorgeSanJose Did not see the DJ one, was it maybe how does the snowplow driver get to work?

Yup! I always enjoyed that one. :relaxed:

Barky ā€¦ thanks, I do remember the snow plow driver version, but thatā€™s not the one Iā€™m thinking of. Definitely an early morning radio DJ, but itā€™s basically the same idea and imagery as the snow plow version. Maybe the DJ version wasnā€™t of VW corporate origin, but sourced by a local VW dealership instead. Where I lived in Colorado we got both Denver and Salt Lake City tv stations, so maybe it was a Denver or Salt Lake City dealership who made it.

You may be rightā€¦but hereā€™s just one that was sentenced to life in prison for first time Crack bust.

Sharanda Jones - http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/07/15/from-a-first-arrest-to-a-life-sentence/?tid=a_inl

From the list Iā€™ve seen they are non-violent drug offenses. Those are NOT drug dealers. Many were stupid college students who got caught with an amount that exceeded the personal use clause and automatically bumped it up to a dealerā€¦even though they were never caught dealing.

Iā€™m not for drugs becoming legalā€¦I hate these marijuana laws being passedā€¦but this crack-down on drugs has lead to many unwarranted arrests and convictions just to make their numbers so the police department could get more federal grant money. And it obviously didnā€™t work. The heroin epidemic in NH and MA (and most of this country) is out of control. Locking them up obviously isnā€™t the answer.

Without looking at every single case itā€™s impossible to say if there are some people being released that shouldnā€™t have beenā€¦but there definitely many who are in prison who never should be or who served time far longer then needed for a non violent crime.

2 Likes

NASCAR glorifies the image of red neck bootleggers.

I wonder what aspect of the pot culture will be glorified in 40 years.

And isnā€™t it ironic that the star of THUNDER ROAD, Robert Mitchum, had a run in with the law over pot 10 years before making the movie

You need to look at www.justice.gov. You can get the list and their records there.

I did get the list. And while they may be listed as drug dealersā€¦someone who never sold drugs, but had in their possession more then a certain amount is automatically charged as a dealerā€¦those are NOT dealers. Not saying that they all were. But Iā€™m not the one making generalities.

1 Like

And you know that how?
And how about the lady whose name was in the paper last week that was convicted of dealing heroin?

Mike, if you donā€™t mind 1,000 convicted felons, most with prior records, wandering the streets, some perhaps near your childrenā€™s and grandchildrenā€™s schools, Iā€™m happy for you. I donā€™t understand why youā€™re defending these pardons an commutations, but thatā€™s your right.
Personally, I think they were tried and convicted in federal courts by juries of their peers despite being defended by their own lawyers and sentenced to federal prisons IAW federal law. I donā€™t think they should be released to roam the streets again just for political reasons.

Peace.

I have to ask - Have you read the List???

Life in prison for a non-violent drug offense? You donā€™t think thatā€™s over the top? Itā€™s not like they are just being set free either. Their sentences in many cases are just commuted to something like 10 years (which is less then someone who commits manslaughter).

Show me that locking up non-violent drug violations is working with the war on drugs and Iā€™ll agree with you. Itā€™s NOT. Drug usage is for more prevalent then itā€™s ever been.

Prisons are overcrowded. We donā€™t have enough space to lock up the real criminals

1 Like

I hate to contribute to this thread hijacking, but yes, the US incarcerates people at a higher rate than any other country.

Yup.
We disagree on this. Itā€™s that simple.

This country has made prisons a growth industry. My state has local jails lobbying the state to house criminals and the stateā€™s Corrections Commissioner is about to go to prison for corruption in dealing with for profit prisons. As more prison cells have been built longer sentences have become more common and paroles less common. The biggest crooks are on the bench and in the state house here in Mississippi. Of course those who can afford a ā€˜goodā€™ lawyer have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Missed another bubble, now I did not understand about a free browser google being an investment opportunity, Amazon really Thinking I should jump into uber, is it even publicly traded?

Donald Trumpā€™s victory in the presidential elections helped shares of Corrections Corp. rise as much as 60 percent before paring their surge to 34 percent by 10:14 a.m. in New York, while GEO Group Inc. was trading 18 percent higher by the same time.

Neither do those who donā€™t use illegal drugs, donā€™t steal stuff, donā€™t drive drunk, pay their taxes, donā€™t kill people, donā€™t rape children and stuff like that.

2 Likes

Hi, could we bring this back on topic? Thanks!

2 Likes

I take it youā€™ve never heard of the Amnesty project. Theyā€™ve successfully secured the release of dozens of innocent people on death row.

1 Like

I support Carolynā€™s request to bring the thread back on the topic of cars.
And I sincerely apologize to everyone for having taken the thread off on a tangent. I should not have done that.

Now, back to stupid car commercialsā€¦ :relaxed:

Is there any other kind?

3 Likes

LOL, not lately!
As already described in earlier posts, I find the new Chevy ad campaign particularly inane. It projects an image to me that Chevys are bought by people too shallow to make intelligent purchasing decisions. People why buy based solely and only on looks.