Stupid Car Commercials

I have always wondered what kind of mind altering drugs that the people who make up these commercials are on.

1 Like

Yup!
They are all
young
very photogenic
hyperbolic in their praise of the Chevys
and clueless.
I would love to have seen the screening process that was used to winnow-down the possible on-screen candidates from
maybe
thousands of people, in order to come up with a group that embodies the desired qualities of youth, attractiveness, extroversion, and little–if any–knowledge about cars.

Modern advertising has to be entertaining, or else you won’t watch it. With remote control muting and fast forward, advertisers don’t have a captive audience anymore. You ever notice that radio stations synchronize their ads so if you switch stations during an ad, you get another ad?
The dream of all ad producers is to create an ad so engaging that it “goes viral” on the internet.

And none of their suits fit them properly! The pant legs are bunched up on their high-top shoes, the shoulders are too narrow, and the jackets are always stressed at the button when closed. Or is this the new “proper fit”? I keep wanting to tell them “see a tailor and get a proper fitting suit”.

I’m guessing mass quantities of whatever they use.

1 Like

Sadly, I think that this “look” is now considered to be high style. From what I have observed, the current style in suit jackets is for the wearer to appear to be wearing something that he outgrew several years ago. When we were growing up, this look would have resulted in strange glances, or even ridicule. Now, it apparently garners admiration.
Also–have you noticed how short these new suit jackets are? My reaction is usually
Hey, you grabbed something from your little brother’s closet by mistake!
Go figure!

:confused:

LOL, a perfect description! :smile:

and too many politicians in pocket to allow change to happen

1 Like

And there’s that pesky first amendment of the Constitution.

1 Like

Getting tired of hearing Trump will fix it. @B.L.E

2 Likes

The Constitution ain’t broken and it don’t need fixin’.

2 Likes

Just badly abused.
I do, however, wish they’d amend those fifteen words in Article II, Section II that Obama is using to empty the federal prisons of convicted felons, putting them back on the streets to prey on our children and grandchildren.

Sorry. This isn’t a political forum. I shouldn’t have mentioned it. My bad.

The first amendment gives car makers the right to make any type of car ad they please or feel gives the best results short of totally misrepresenting their product’s function, and even that is something they can get sued over, not prosecuted for.
The first amendment never said you can’t be held accountable for what you say.

Really, if they made an intellectual case for buying their product, the ad would put people to sleep. They make emotional cases for buying their product instead because they find it works.

My favorite stupid commercial from a car company in the recent past was the Toyota Tacoma pickup commercial. It showed a bunch of 20-somethings doing wheelies on quads, surfing sofas down a sand dune and jumping motorcycles while wearing costume bunny heads. I think the trucks were shown in the commercial too. I don’t remember them though.

But, apparently they did get you to watch the commercial.

1 Like

If anybody out there knows how to find a link to the old air cooled VW Beetle commercial about the early morning radio station DJ who has to drive to work before the roads have been plowed, so drives a VW Beetle, I would enjoy looking at it again. I Google searched but couldn’t find anything. Circa 1970.

until I became aware of how all of those annoying Chevy commercials begin. Now, as soon as I see one on the screen, I either mute the sound or use that time for a bathroom break.

If I have to hear that chick shrieking, “It’s a Chevy!”, one more time, I may hurl something at the TV.

They’re no violent drug crimes. How are they preying on your children and grandchildren. Someone who had 10 grams of pot in his possession never should have been sentenced to life in prison in the first place. There are people who committed murder who served less time.

But . . if you MUTE the commercials ?
you HAVE to watch . . to know when it’s over.
Same with fast forwarding . . you HAVE to watch !
for me . .
I just turn it way down .
Then I can tell when they’re over even if I’m reading the paper or doing the crossword.

Out here in the Albuquerque TV market area, at the 10 o’clock news times . . EVERY commercial is a car dealer yelling at you !

Check they’re records on www.justice.gov. I did. There’s more there than the media is disclosing.

There’s nobody on these lists that’s there for ten grams of pot. Most of them were major drug dealers and smugglers, in many cases having smuggled huge quantities of hard drugs. There are also some money launderers, crooked financial people, and other assorted undesirables. There’s one from NH whose name was in the Union Leader a few days ago who was there for dealing heroin. Do you want these people living next door to your grandchild’s school? I certainly don’t.

This image being portrayed by the media that they were in prison for smoking a joint is pure bologna. Nobody goes to federal prison for life for smoking a joint. Like I said, check their records. You’ll be stunned. These people are major career criminals.

Yeah. And that’s a sign of a broken system too. But even if it weren’t it does not justify letting the felons in question free.