Studded snow tires

I may soon be traveling across the country. I live in a western state where studded snow tires are legal to use from October 1st through May 31st. As I will be heading east, my journey will take me through one of the Dakotas, likely Minnesota or Iowa, likely Wisconsin or Illinois, almost undoubtedly Indiana and Ohio, and certainly Pennsylvania. I cannot find a fast way to discover if studded snow tires are legal in these states. Can anyone tell me if they are legal in the above states and if so, during what times of the year?

I certainly appreciate any feedback. So many plans, so little time.

Muchos gracias.

You did not mention where you are ending up…I wouldn’t get studded tires just for the trip East, most can do without studded tires even in Northern New England…I’ve been in Vermont and Maine for 40 winters and with front wheel and AWD vehicles never found myself in a situation where I needed studded tires. Most states they are legal in the snow seasons…

Here you go:

It looks like you might have trouble with some of the midwestern states, although I do know that some states have a provision that says as long as they’re legal in the state your car is registered in they’re fine, especially if you’re just driving through.

Is this a one way trip, or will you be returning to the west? If you’re staying in the east you may not need the studs at all. Depending on where you’re going, it may not snow enough to justify studs.

Of course, the make and model of your vehicle may influence the advice you get, but you didn’t tell us what you’re driving.

We are lucky in New England, they turn roads into salt/sand after any winter condition happens. Out west not always as the sun quickly comes up or weather warms fast enough.

Studded tires are simply not worth the hassle involved. On a high speed cross-country trip they will wear very quickly and tend to spit out the studs at high speed. Forget the studded tires, get rid of them…

Thank you for providing the hyperlink. It was very helpful and there were a couple of surprises.

I am driving a Geo Prizm. This would be a one-way trip. From the pointers I have read here, it may be that I use these tires to drive across country, then change to non-studded tires when I get there, or as soon as funds will permit. I do know that they make for a constant noise when you are driving and that they decrease gas mileage, so not using them would, in fact, be better in the long run.

I doubt if you will have any problems driving through any of those states with your out of state license plates. Not many police will be doing a stud check let alone worrying about an out of state car with studs. I have lived in Ohio longer than studs were available and I have yet had anyone check to see if I had studs in any state.

I am assuming you currently have studs. If you are considering buying studs, I would advise against it. Modern winter tyres are very very good on not only snow but also ice. So unless you drive in an area that “requires” studs or chains, I would not go there and I would (and I have) bought winter tyres.

Studded tires work better on ice and hard-packed snow. Are they worth the disadvantages? Every winter driver must make that decision. Studded tires are not as good as non-studded on dry pavement. They make some noise too. Having spent many winters driving with studded tires, it always sounded like security to me.

It looks like MovingOn already has studded tires and wants to know if they will be legal to drive in his transit states. I don’t think he is asking if he should buy some for the trip.

Studded tires work better on ice and hard-packed snow.

That is true, but modern Winter tyres (Not Snow tyres or all season tyres) have come a long way and are close to studs on ice and hard pack snow, and are a lot better than studs under other conditions.

Note: I agree with what you said, but many people don’t know about modern Winter tyres

I see I did not say that yes, in fact, hiding in my storage closet are 4 studded snow tires of which I am the proud owner. Any trip or move like the one I am considering requires hair-splitting planning and there are hidden costs: however, as weather can be inclement early in the season, I may find that the cost of lower gas mileage with studded snow tires is worth it if I, too, sing the song I hear of “Security!” as the tires drone on. I surely do appreciate your having posted to this forum.