Struts

I have a 2006 chevy aveo (5 door) and was recently told i need to replace the front left struts. in addition i was told

a. “you have to replace BOTH rt & lft struts…you can’t do just one side.”

b. “struts for YOUR make/model are ONLY available thru the chevy dealer & therefore are $200 each!”

IS ALL OF THIS TRUE?? MIND YOU $200/EA IS W/OUT LABOR CHARGES. PLEASE HELP, I’M BROKE & KNOW NOTHING! THANK YOU!

1 Like

How many miles on your car? What is wrong with it? Does it handle poorly? Are there noises coming out of the front of the car? Or did some “mechanic” just volunteer this?

And you don’t have to go to a dealer to get them, I found them on rockauto.oom for $80 each. But that’s only if you really do need them.

Avoid the dealership. Find a good front end mechanic and get a second opinion. If you need front struts they are available from any large auto parts store. They are made by Gabriel, AC Delco and KYB to name a few. They run about $80. I would replace the struts in pairs, if they are in fact, bad. A second opinion is warranted.

there’s about 55,000 miles on the car and there are some noises coming out of the front end (sometimes when I’m turning a corner I hear it). the mechanic actually told me that this would be coming down the line when I brought it in to be inspected. he still passed it but said this should be done soon-ish.

While it might be struts, noises more often indicate a worn component of some type. Find another shop and get another opinion. Use the ‘mechanic finder’ under ‘actual car info’ to find one.

Yes, they need to be replaced in pairs if they are actually worn out.

Since these parts are available from aftermarket suppliers, there is no need to go to the dealership. Look for a well-reputed “front end shop” in your area, and ask for their opinion of the condition of your suspension and steering components.

If there is a need for strut replacement, it will cost far less at an independent shop.
Just be sure to AVOID Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, or any other chain operation, as they will tell you that you need strut replacement whether you do or not.

Just be sure to AVOID Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, or any other chain operation, as they will tell you that you need strut replacement whether you do or not.

And likely a few other things like a blinker fluid flush.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I’M LOOKING NOW AT THE MECHANICS’ LISTINGS FOR A 2ND OPINION!

The only thing partly right on that list is the part about replacing both struts, (unless both are newish and one failed in the first few months.