What maintenance is recommended or needed for cars which will be stored in a garage for a year? My son and daughter-in-law are storing a Tahoe and a Hyundai Santa Fe in my garage.
- Protect from rodents and vandals.
- Disconnect battery. *
- Visit car wash and allow to dry before storage.
- Don?t use a car cover; it traps moisture.
- Don?t have someone drive it, unless they are going to drive it a good distance at least once a week. Long enough to get it fully warmed up plus.
- Fill the fuel tank
- Don?t leave the parking brake on. Leave it in gear or block the tyres.
If over one month
- Arrange for battery charging or a new battery on return. A charger made for this or a charger on a timer is good.
- Change the oil if it is due
If over three months
- Use fuel stabilizer when you fill the tank.
- Change oil anyway
- It is best to remove the battery and bring it inside. Giving it a little charge every month and giving it a little charge every month is a great idea. Very few car thieves carry an assortment of batteries around with them so your car is a lot safer.
Sorry I missed one step. Assuming you are not going to drive the car, then call the insurance company and cancel the collusion part. It will save you the most expensive part of the cost and your car will still be fully protected for anything other than an accident.
I might add that a car cover can damage the paint if wind moves it.
use this boards “search” feature for past discussions of this subject…