Stellantis

Problem is… Stellantis sounds like a new cholesterol drug not a car company.

6 Likes

Those were my thoughts–exactly.

4 Likes

Sounds more like a venereal disease.

5 Likes

Surely it might BE more like a venereal disease… The painful surprise after the wonderful first encounter that has lingering effects and no real cure.

Chrysler is already a suffering carrier and spreader… they got it from Daimler. Likely the German strain has already worked its way to Italy and is on its way to France and Japan. Opel and Vauxhall have had the American strain since 1926 so they are due for a double whammy with the German strain.

We will likely see the horrible pictures in a textbook someday warning us of the dangers of merging around…

I’ll stop now…

4 Likes

My brother-in-law retired right after the Daimler merger. He didn’t like what he was seeing.

4 Likes

I was actually thinking Crohn’s or related since there is already a drug called Stelara that treats the same. Maybe Stellantis is the Extended Release version :wink: Maybe Stellantis would be a topical product due to the pain in the behind from riding in one of their cars :rofl:

4 Likes

Heh heh. Anyone ever been in a meeting where someone comes up with a really stupid idea but everyone is afraid to say so? Then afterwards it takes on a life of its own while others shake their heads on the way to the coffee shop.

Like Gordon Lightfoot sang in the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald “Boys, it’s been good to know ya”.

6 Likes

+1

Have you ever had to sit through a presentation from a “consultant” who spouts his/her wonderful new idea that you know is just not practical?

I had more of those sessions than I care to remember. As we filed out of one of them, I presented my definition of a consultant to my colleagues:

Somebody who knows less than you do, but is paid a boatload of money to travel a few hundred miles and recite his/her suggestions, all of which are totally impractical.

I got a lot of nodding agreement with that definition.

6 Likes

Stellantis as a brand name only makes me think of Stanley, not Steamer, yelling Stella! in A Streetcar Named Desire. But decidedly not inspiring me to desire a car from that corporate street. :roll_eyes:

Th death spiral of once proud Chrysler make me sad, I have preferred and bought Chrysler products for most of my life and they frequently lead in engineering. Example, all 4 wheel Hydraulic brakes since 1924. The only company that beat them to market was Dusenberg and theirs didn’t work well because they had no return springs. The next year Dusenberg paid for the Chrysler patent design. Before power brakes, Chrysler’s double leading shoe design gave more stopping power and their safety rims kept blown out tire on the rims, important for steering control.

I found them easier to repairthan many other makes.They frequently used a stud and nut where other makes used bolts,rivets or even glue or plastic.

1 Like

Perhaps they are basing their future sales figures on…
The kindness of strangers

:wink:

1 Like

Their name is so strange. I am curious about their cars tbh

Stella is Latin maybe for star. Maybe they are trying to say star of the Atlantic or Atlantis? Who knows. Wikipedia says it means “of (he/it that) brightens with stars”; from the Latin verb stello." That’s nice. What’s it got to do with anything?

It’s bigger than GM now.

Yes it certainly has more letters, but not more than General Motors, but more than Ford. FWIW though, there must be a bunch of Latin professors rubbing their hands with glee though. They might even have special Latin appreciation classes for gearheads. “No no Mr. Bill, not the headphones again.”

Have you worked with Consultants? I worked as a consultant for over 10 years. And that is NOT what most consulting jobs are. Not even close. Companies hire consultants to either augment their current staff because of a big project that requires short term employees…OR they hire a consultant who has expertise in an area people in your organization don’t have.

My software consulting career was at the start of Windows Applications in the early 90’s with Visual Basic and C++. Many companies were getting away from Mainframes and building easier to use Desktop applications that only used the Mainframe’s database as a repository for the data. 90% of the time I was hired as a consultant to augment their workforce. I was just another engineer on the project. The pay was better then the staff engineers, but I had ZERO benefits. This only works out well if you have a spouse who has the benefits you can use. Then when the project ended I was either let go or many times offered a job to stay on as staff. Because my wife has good benefits it was more lucrative for me to consult. I only needed to work 9 months a year to get the same pay as a staff engineer. But if I had to pay for the same medical benefits then it was about a wash.

You may well be more knowledgeable than the dolt consultants who were hired by my school district.
In my 35 years with one school district there was never even one consultant’s recommendation that we were able to implement, simply because they were… impractical, or uninformed, or otherwise impossible to act upon. I am honestly reporting my personal experience, as I assume you are.

Your mileage may vary.
:wink:

1 Like

The problem with School districts and small non-tech companies is that they have NO IDEA what they want or need…and they can easily be taken advantage of. It happened to a town near me with some consultant recommending Microsoft’s Sharepoint and presenting to the district how easy it is to customize and each teacher can create their own web-page with minimal effort. I’ve worked with Sharepoint and it’s NOT that easily customized. You need an engineer to create these things called Web-Parts…and that’s exactly why this consultant suggested Sharepoint. His company had Sharepoint engineers that the town has hired 4 engineers for the past 5 years at a rate of $150/hr for 40 hours a week. That accounted for a significant amount of the towns budget.

This one actually happened to me over 25 years ago. A small real estate company wanted me to hire me to design and create a desktop application so their agents could show house hunters the homes they had for sale…This was long before MLS. He had been previously quoted prices of $20k. I explained to him that those prices were not out of line. But I then presented an alternative. I said…go buy this book on Visual Basic 3 for about $75. They have an example in the book of almost exactly what you’re looking for. And in the back page of the book is a disk with the application already written which you are legally allowed to use. So that’s exactly what he did. His high-school son actually did it. Then he asked me to come back to see it. It did need some added work, which I helped his son do. I think I spent a total of 5 hours with his son (very smart kid) and never charged him for it. I did use him as a reference for me though which landed me at least 2 paying consulting jobs.

1 Like

Retired from what?

Nothing. But you’d not know it from the number of posts.