Starting problems

i have a 1996 chevy 1500 van gas engine with starting problems. i the mourning it starts fine. if i drive it to the store or anyplace not too far away,it will not start. it has a new battery. the other day i started it and let it run for 5 to 10 minutes. shut it off and tried to restart. would not. after 3 to 5 hours tried again, started right up. today went to store for a short period and shut it off. would not restart so i held gas down . started right up. what could problem be?

You may have a vapor lock problem or you’re getting too much gas and not enough air and the car will not start when partially warmed up.

When this engine had a carburetor, the choke would stay on when partially warmed up and the car would not restart. The remedy here ws to stick your comb in the carb to pry the chooke open and it would restart easily.

You seem to have an electronic version of this problem; too much gas and not enough air.

Someone should do some checking, but my guess is the spark coil or what ever serves for one in your car. They can become heat sensitive. Also check the plugs and if you don’t know how old they are, replace them and the same for the plug wires.

You’ve got to learn if it’s a fuel problem, or a spark problem, or, lack of electric power. Once, when it wouldn’t start, you held the gas pedal down, and it started. Was this a one-time, or can you get a start anytime, this way?
When it doesn’t start, does it crank? If it cranks; but, doesn’t start, check it for spark. If it cranks, and has spark, use a starting spray in the intake tube. Does it then start?

fuel press must be above 55psi…any lower the truck will not start,rec fuel press chack, 55spec but still will not fire

think has spark and cranks, and can start this way more than once

i suspect you may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator you say it fails to start when it is warm. after sitting awhile it will start that is because when it is cold (i.e. sitting for awhile) the fuel that has leaked into the manifold has had time to evaporate, when it is warm and you try to start it the fuel has not had time to evaporate and thus the engine is flooded. some of the other suggestions are possible as well but i have seen this too. you held gas pedal down and it started this is known as the clear flood mode.

do you also know if the veh has ,CMFIor MULTI POINT INJ,NO YOU DO NOT .YOU NEVER ASKED.cmfi requires a perfect fuel press,unlike multipoint inj.it will fool you into thinking its some other part(reg)when its the wrong answer. this sys acts on fuel press,just like a diesel.it has poppet valves.

mmsamma:

this forum is to help. not to criticize.

your comments help bring out the correct questions. complete sentences help decipher the response. abbreviations do not help. cryptic responses and your own shorthand are not understood.

make your reply plain or hit the cancel button!

don’t mean to be mean, but several responses have pointed this way!

rec fuel press chack, 55spec but still will not fire

what does this mean? you MAY know but your shorthand is not understandable to most.

KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. works really well. knowwhutimean?

verne is my hero after all!

i know this vehicle is central multi point injection with the regulator being located on the inside of the intake . you are correct about these requiring precise fuel pressure but i also am not wrong and may very well be correct. anyway am only here to offer advice alot of these questions on here have so many possibilities and without having the vehicles in my possesion to personally diagnose i can only make educated guesses. if they do not wish to consider my advice that is up to them they can bring it to my shop and i will gladly fix it for them. i need the money have you seen the price of gas?

he said holding the gas pedal to the floor got the vehicle started.does this somehow increase fuel pressure? please explain

not sure how to put it,CMFI,would mean nothing even if I said central multipoint fuel injection,multi port fuel injection,mfi,so guess i’ll just read from now on.its very difficult to make certain things,easy as pie in this business,and i only use the terms I’ve been taught,over the years and understand well.and to explian the cmfi sys and all off its downsides,and benifits would take forever,same with carbs,ABS,SRS,TCS,TPMS,SES,IMOBILLIZER,ect.training is key.sorry for the imposition.

you hit it directly on the specific point i was trying to make.

you have been taught, have years of experience and you understand this stuff!!!

the average poster, responder and reader of these forums has NONE of your benefit.

you’re experience and knowledge are needed to help the “average joe auto owner” who is DESPERATE for honest, truthful, (non “gouging”) knowledge.

that is what THIS forum is for!

you may think “we” all know what your responses mean, but sometimes your acronyms are confusing, and your industry names and shorthand abbreviations are really confusing.

again. the KISS method is helpful for all.

think how the next “dumb blonde” who enters your shop feels!? how do you know how the next post on here feels?

sorry again,just want to help, K.I.S.S, was a great saying,at the mitsubishi school.and i will re-read my responses from now on,just need to work on my wording,sorry to all,and will work on that super issue.but do not expect my crappy grammer to change(but i will write it out in better terms)

BTW

i am appreciative of ALL the professional help and advice I get here. sometimes a little “spark” is all it takes to energize others to “see” the answer!

sorry if i insulted ANY blond haired, brainy intelligent… sorry, i’ll shut up now!!!

joey, Having to hold the gas pedal to the floor, during start, indicates that the engine is flooded.
The engine is getting too much fuel (rich fuel/air mixture) when the engine is warm. An engine needs more fuel (“richer”) when the engine is cold. The same amount of fuel (as when the engine is cold) when the engine is warm, will flood the engine, and it won’t start.
Fuel pressure which is too high (fuel pressure regulator) will flood the engine. An engine coolant temperature sensor (cts) which tells the engine computer that the engine is very cold (and it’s not, actually) can cause the engine to flood.
Not getting enough air can, also, cause flooding. The idle air control valve (iac), which doesn’t allow enough air to pass, can cause flooding. Use a carb/throttle body cleaner to clean the iac pintle and air passage, and to clean the throttle plate and bore. Spray. Let soak. Run the engine at fast idle.

was a problem with cold temp sensor