Starting ignition without Transponder Key

Hello Car Talk Community,

I have a 2006 Dodge Stratus and recently lost my transponder key for my ignition. I do have a spare key cut but it doesn’t have a chip in it, I can only use it to unlock the doors and open the trunk.

What I want to know… is there:

➣ A way to disable/bypass the theft prevention system so I can use the non-chipped key in my ignition?
➣ a way I can modify my key to trick the theft prevention system into thinking it is a real key
➣ a place where I don’t have to pay $50-$100 on a new transponder key.

Any news is good news, and is much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Factory alarms and security systems are highly integrated. Why mess with it and screw something else up?
Just fork over the 50-100 bucks to get a new key and don’t lose it this time.

1 Like

and get a second key made so you don’t have this problem again

You can only ‘‘fool’’ it if one key is broken yet you still have the transponder half. That half can be held close or taped to the column then the plain key can start it.

Here we go again with the ‘’ I can’t afford it ‘’ schpiel.
dude you can’t afford NOT to get a new key and a spare…or two !

Many new cars have no “key” at all…Just the transponder gadget…If you lose the gadget, it’s just money but if the system fails and will not respond to a gadget anymore, now that’s going to be SERIOUS money…

If you can get a programed transponder for $100, take it and run. Losing keys these days falls into that same category of falling off a ship-you just make sure it doesn’t happen period.

No, you’ll have to spend some $$$ at the dealership or locksmith to a get a key that works in the car. I really don’t think anyone will want to steal an '06 Stratus, but unfortunately the security systems don’t recognize a car car with theft potential from one that no one would steal.

Perhaps all anti-theft systems should expire at 10 or 15 years of age and no longer bother with the “transponder key” systems in old cars.

Thanks for the info everyone, I decided to bite the bullet and go to the dealership. But as luck would have it my lost key turned up as soon as I got back. Oh, well now I have two keys!

Isn’t that the way it always goes?

Good for you. I put one in my trunk and hide a key to open it or the door. Can’t start anything but can get to the spare. Worse come to worse, Onstar would open the trunk for me.

check this first …
Does the found key start the car ?

Often the programing of new keys negates the old keys from the que.
Ford does anyway. Yet ( again, Ford ) you can Program your own keys #3,4,5,6. The instuctions are in the owner’s manual.

As Ken mentioned about Ford, a customer can also self program additional transponder keys on a domestic Chrysler if they have two valid keys. Some transponder keys cost as little as $25, if you always keep three keys and one becomes lost you can program another key yourself.
I see a few vehicle towed in each month with no keys, $$$.

My resource at home shows Stratus up to 2005. It could be an editing mistake if you really have an 06.

Here is the reason you should always have 3 keys for most Chrysler and Ford and some GM products:

If you have two distinct keys, they can be used to ON BOARD PROGRAM a third. This eliminated the need to pay me ( Locksmith ) to use the legitimate, licensed scan tool and software to add a key. I need to use it on these when you only have none or one.

A good locksmith can take you one last ductaped together, worn bladed key, measure the cuts, and convert back to the original key code through his/her databases. Then a NEW key is produced… a NEW one… not a trace of the old tired one.

Then the appropriate RFID chip is put into the new keys ( I believe that would be a Phillips 46 chip ) and hook up to the diagnostics port, read the pin code, program the keys, collect a little dough and make you a happy camper.

TIPS: never throw away the old keys… if worn down, a fresh key can be made as outlined above, we cut the chip out of the old key and transplant it… no programming needed!

ByPassing can be done, but it can result in expensive repairs later, when something else on the vehicle needs service and the tech is chasing down AMC Gremlins. Keep the electrical system FACTORY… this will save more than the cost of a few keys later on !

1 Like

My sources show that 1986 was the last year of the Dodge Stratus. Heres a good tip @Locksmithy…just double check most vehicles up to 1930 by going to autozone.com . Just click on “Add a vehicle” to get started. It’s also a great way to check engine availability by year.

The Stratus was in production up to 2006.

I don’t know if the OP will return - but for Dodge’s SKIM system the only thing I’ve seen as far a work-around for keys is to open up the steering column and secure a known-good key under there near the ignition. With that key hiding out in there any key that is cut for lock cylinder should work. So now that you have two, maybe you want to stash one in the steering column, one in the house someplace safe and use a standard cut key. I have a Neon at my house and I think that is the plan I am going with. I hate these stupid systems.

All data show a Stratus Sedan in 06.

I have a 99 Honda accord 5 speed I rewired my clutch and now I can use my dummy key as well to crank my car I no longer have to have a key with a chip in it go figure

1. You are replying to a very old thread.
  2. Rewiring the clutch, whatever that is, would have absolutely no effect on the need for a chipped key.

I am having the same issue on my 2004 Chrysler Town and country… My main problem is having no key whatsoever… My key costs 300 dollars. I seriously cannot afford that… I need to know how to bypass it PLEASE

If you have a key that will turn on and light up everything on the dash, you may be able to get the car started by hooking up a remote starter switch to the starter. I have a 2000 ford f150. It keeps losing program on the keys. I have been able to get the computer to recognize the keys. When I did not have the backup keys with and this happen where the truck would not start, I would get it push started, since it has a manual transmission. Today I bought a remote starter switch from advance auto parts part number CF7853 as a backup… Hope this helps.