Standard Repair Charge

Hi:
Is there a place I can go on a computer where I can see the repair estimator dealers and repair shops use to estimate costs of repair to make sure I am not getting ripped off?

I am paying $1025 to replace a fuel tank and fuel pump, $343 for an EGR Valve and also a cracked engine mount is being replaced and replace a crank shaft positioning sender, plus oil change and tire rotation. Total price $2130. This is for a 2000 Chev Blazer V6 4.3 .

Prices vary a lot by locale and shop so there is no way you can compare an on-line estimator to what is quoted and determine if you’re being “ripped off”.

They quoted you a price up front so no one is ripping you off at all. If they quote you 1130 dollars and then hit you for 2130 then you might have a point.
If the vehicle does not legitimately need those items then you may have a point there also.

Offhand, the prices sound about right but why is the tank being replaced?

Lots of public libraries have the Time and labor books. If you know what the shops hourly labor rate is then you have a place to start. As mentioned above there is no set labor rate each shop may be different.

In addition to varying labor costs, there is also a significant difference in the cost of parts. Some shops may use genuine OEM parts supplied by the auto manufacturers themselves, while others avail themselves of cheaper aftermarket parts.

The shops may or may not pass along the savings to you, and they may or may not advise you of the source of these parts. You must ask in advance.

All I can say is I’m glad I do my own mechanical work. To me the estimate sounds high, but I don’t know what the cost of the parts alone will be. Depending on the garage, labor rates now usually run $75-$125 per hour plus the parts will probably get marked up by the garage making the repairs. I’d suggest getting estimates at 2 or 3 different places (maybe shops recommended by friends and family), this should give you a ball park figure of what’s fair for this work in your area. At least it would let you know if one of them was way out of line on their pricing.