Standard equipment now an option or how to make a cheap truck

…well there are two types on intermittent wipers. There are the ones that have a set delay, and there are the ones that let you adjust the delay. My 98 Civic DX is a bare bones model and doesn’t allow me to adjust the delay on the intermittent setting, but that doesn’t bother me. The single intermittent setting works just fine.

MikeinNH–Interesting link about the inventor of the true interval wiper. It’s interesting the Kearns had to sue both Chrysler and Ford for the patent infringement. A man named Armstrong had to sue RCA for an infringement of his patent rights for FM radio transmission. The battle took years, but Armstrong finally won. Not long after he won the suit, he took his own life. Both cases are a sad indictment of how big businesses try to stomp on the little guy.

But they used to do it just fine. They could do it again.

Yes they DID do it…and the reason they dropped it was to cut costs. Now you want them to start it up again…THUS INCREASING COSTS…which will be passed on to the consumer.

I remember the 76 Gremlin, 78 Cordoba, & 78 Grand Marquis had odd combinations of options like manual windows but power seats. There was a build spec sheet that preceded the vehicle down the line and options were installed from secondary side lines as the vehicle proceded through.

It’s NOT just the assembly line these changes will take place…but the whole ordering system will need to be changed. Sorry…but cars WILL increase in price DRASTICALLY if they manufacturers reverted BACK to that type of system.

Price increase ? Not if they want to sell cars it won’t.
re; posts ‘cars that made detroit’ - ‘restructuring of GM & chrysler’ & ‘joe average’.

Something needs to change, big time, and fast.
what is that ? what would draw the buying public back to these high dollar long-term purchases ?

I’m just tossing out an idea here but when I want to buy again…

Sure, if they sold them here. They were pretty cheap. A 2003 Indica would only have power windows in the driver and passenger side, for example.

You need to reread the post . He is not saying he had oe intermittent wipers. He said they were intermittent when he let off the accelerator since the wipers were vacuum operated. Vacuum wipers operated a lot like air powered wipers on road tractors, at an idle they flopped back and forth lazily. He was being tongue in cheek.

I got an EX model, 99, and the only intermittent speed I have is about a 4 second delay or on all the time and fast. My 95 contour had selectable delays up to 6 seconds

GM used to have a problem with the amount of gadgets that the customers could order. There were over a thousand interior combinations that were possible to order and a lot of them were impossible to build into one car. Some combinations would not fit when ordered together. It sometimes took months just to get an order together that was possible to make. Chevrolet was losing a lot of money and did not become profitable until they standardized the interiors.

Yup…I got that…NOW.

I saw the movie about it a couple of weeks ago. If the movie is based on what actually happened…then it wasn’t worth it. The man was obsessed with it. He had a happy marriage BEFORE it all started…Lost his wife kids…he was completely consumed by this.

Price increase ? Not if they want to sell cars it won’t.

I think you need to understand how businesses are run before you make that statement. There is no way that DRASTIC increase in cost is NOT going to be passed on to the consumer…NOT POSSIBLE…

Hmmm, what you say has merit-Kevin

Do the basic platform and let a secondary group do the options( Isn’t a Yenko Camaro about the same deal)?

Per the question on the recall. Toyota and only Toyota could find rust through on the frame (I took it to two independents also) If we didn’t accept their offer to buy back the truck, any problems and lack of warranty were our problem. Since the buyback was 1 1/2 times blue book, at that time it didn’t seem wise to turn the offer down. Now wish we had. The check of course couldn’t cover a truck comparable to what we had so we went with the 4 cyl, no 4WD. Our 2000 was a 4wd with off road tires and we got 22-25mpg. The 09 can’t crack 20mpg. water down the drain but I wish we hadn’t assumed intermittent wipers were standard equipment. It is more than a nuisance to have to keep turning them on and off manually in a mist.