Intermittent wipers

My 2005 Tacoma wiper switch has Wash, Lo, Hi, Off, and Mist (one wipe) positions. What is a good aftermarket product to give intermittent wipe capability? Is it as simple as changing the existing switch to one with an intermittent position?

The only thing I would consider is replacement parts from the dealer, if an intermittent function was available on your car and if it can be fitted. I have seen far too many after market upgrades go bad. They generally just don’t equal the OEM.

I agree. Use Toyota parts if you’re going to attempt this. I wouldn’t waste my time with aftermarket stuff.

It amazes today any maker would cheap out the parts on a low end of the model in order to make a small paltry buck. Remember the days of optional rear defrost or whacko’s especially Japanese cars with optional passenger mirrors.

AC(for defrost) and intermittent wipers should be standard on any car where it rains.

I can only imagine that wiper switch with the intermittent setting costs about $200 to replace with OEM parts. Ever price a control stalk for any vehicle domestic or foreign?

I bet all the dealer parts singularyly for this are $500-$1000. But I could be wrong.

If you are going to do this yourself, I would check a Tacoma board and start looking for the parts from a wreck.

I had my friend at the Toyota dealership order me an intermittent

wiper switch for my 2007 Tacoma access cab 2wd auto/ac/4 cyl
which
according to Toyota you cant get intermittent wipers for.So he
went
to the next model up that has them.I figured I would try and see
if I
could make one work.He said he wasn’t sure what would have to be
done
or if the harness would work or if it would even mount
correctly.
B U T
THATS RIGHT!!! PLUG AND PLAY…2 phillips head screws and
minutes and I was done.I tested all the switch functions and all
work
perfectly.I didnt have to do any fabrication at all.Harness plugs
right in and it mounts the exact same way.I have no idea why
TOYOTA
does not offer it in the lower models or even know it is a
possibility.I paid $99 for my switch from my buddy.I am not sure
what
you would have to pay but it is worth it.1)UNDO THE 2 SCREWS THAT
HOLD THE PLASTIC COLUMN SLEEVE ON…2)UNPLUG THE 2 SEPERATE
HARNESS’S
THAT PLUG INTO THE SWITCH(little tabs hold them in)…3)PUSH IN
ON
THE TAB THAT HOLD THE SWITCH IN PLACE AND SLIDE IT OUT…4)
INSTALL NEW SWITCH…5)PLUG IN HARNESS…6)PUT PLASTIC COLLAR
BACK
ON COLUMN WITH 2 SCREWS…7) D O N E !!!
I don’t know what years this will work on but I assume all same
body
styles…It should work with the new
switch…The
part number for the NEW SWITCH IS…84652-04141…Let me know
how
you make out…Randy

You used good skills to get good results. What was the “next model up” and why does your post come with the>>>>>><<<<<<in front of each sentence? Is this a e-mail copy format?

. Remember the days of optional rear defrost or whacko’s especially Japanese cars with optional passenger mirrors.

Actually it was the American cars that had limited options. They were ALWAYS playing catchup in the small to mid size car space (as far as options go). In the 70’s…things like Carpeting on the Vega were optional…the Chevette the rear seat was an option. When I bought my 84 GMC pickup…the rear bumper was an option…along with reclining bucket seats. One of Toyota’s big selling points (besides their quality) was their options. They had 2-3 trim levels of each vehicle. At the time American vehicles you bought added trim levels and then added options. When I ordered my S-15 I spent HOURS just trying to figure out what options came with what trim level and then added in the options I wanted after that (like the rear bumper…actually I didn’t find out that the rear bumper was an option until I took delivery of the truck…who knew??).

AC(for defrost) and intermittent wipers should be standard on any car where it rains

Toyota and Nissan were the first companies I knew of that ALL vehicles sold had AC…since the mid 90’s. Same for Intermittent wipers.

You’re lucky. A lot of designs require a switch AND a control module. Sometimes, it makes more sense for the manufacturer to install control modules in every model and omit the feature by leaving out just the control input (switch). In other cases, the entire option is omitted and then it costs a bit more to add it in after the fact.

I originally posted that info on another group. a Yahoo Tacoma forum. I just copied and pasted what I had written. I also have pics of the before and after wiper controls on that group. I have a 2007 Tacoma Access cab 4 cylinder 2wd. Has every power windows/locks/mirrors…ect…Just didn’t come with the intermittent wipers…
Fortunately the switch control is integrated on the wiper control arm I believe a SR5 is the next model up. But the part number is correct for the new switch. 84652-04141 . I will try and find the pics and post. Randy

Pics of new switch. Plug and Play

Connector of stock and new switch. 2 screws and 5 minutes worth of work…

Click to join Toy_Coma

Click to join Toy_Coma

Try this link if you want more info from the Group…

My old 1996 Dodge Neon came from Ohio originally, and my sister didn’t add on the passenger side mirror because it was an extra $50 (and she was a poor grad student). It also had no rear defrost. I don’t know if that was an optional “winter package” or what, but the last time I checked, it does snow in Ohio.

I just did this to my 05 Tacoma. It worked just as stated except it took me a little longer than five minutes. Works great tho’. Part cost me $148 and change plus tax. I don’t have a friend at the Toyota dealer. --Mil