Stalling problem on 2000 honda accord

The car has 117000 miles. When I drive slow, without the AC on, it stalls on hot starts. The check engine light comes on. To start it, and have it continue to run without stalling, I need to practically floor the gas pedal and hold it down for a minute or so. It doesn’t happen when the AC is running. I have been told that the problem is “heat soak”, but my mechanic says no. By the time I get it to the mechanic, the engine light is off, so he hasn’t been able to get a code. Is this thew same as the EGR valve problem that I read about? Thanks for any info.!!

[i] By the time I get it to the mechanic, the engine light is off, so he hasn't been able to get a code.[/i] Some people believe that if the light is not on, no codes can be read.  Some codes can still be read, even if the light is out.  Your car may be different.

I am assuming a few things you do not talk about, but is your temperature gauge in the normal operating range when this occurs, The reason I ask is the a/c fan kicks on when you select the ac and you say this doesn’t happen with the a/c running. If this is the case maintain your coolant at the proper level and look for the leak.

The coolant level is ok. It doesn’t seem to have a leak. Thanks for your response.