Stalling Honda CR-V

So, my 1999 Honda CR-V has started to stall randomly. It has happened when I’m stopped and while I’m moving, on acceleration and deceleration. It doesn’t seem to matter how long the car has been running and there aren’t any warning signs (no revving rpm or sputtering). The engine just stops. The lights stay on and so far I’ve been able to just restart the car after the stall.

I’ve checked the oil and radiator fluids; everything is normal. I also put some fuel injector cleaner in, which didn’t seem to help. The check engine light hasn’t come on. The only thing I’ve noticed is that engine temp indicator jumps up pretty quickly to half-way between hot and cold a few minutes into a trip.

Anybody have a clue as to why my car is stalling out? My brother said it might be a thermostat issue, but he said it was just a guess.

You say the gauge “jumps up pretty quickly to half-way between hot and cold a few minutes into a trip.” Where does the gauge needle usually sit?

Halfway is about where it should be all the time. If the engine is not warming up completely, as it might not if the thermostat is bad, can cause all sorts or problems. Your brother may be right; perhaps your CR-V needs a new thermostat. It’s certainly old enough for one.

Install a new radiator cap at the same time, and if the cooling system’s never been flushed and refilled, do that too.

CHECK YOUR IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER WHERE THE KEY GOES AND MAKE SURE IT IS NOT LOOSE.