Spyders

My daughter has an '01 Eclipse Sypder with 38,000 miles on a “remanufactued” 3.0 Litre V6 engine. Runs great but says it has lost a little power from the original engine but the real problem is that it uses a quart of oil every 4,000 miles or

so. No leaks and doesn’t have “smoky” exhaust & she has taken it to 3 Mechanics who say that this is normal for that engine and the synthetic oil that she uses. My daughter doesn’t agree and

neither do I. Anyone have an idea, or are the 3 mechanics correct? Thanks in Advance

Most auto manufacturers consider one quart per 1,000 miles on their new cars as normal consumption. A quart every 4,000 miles is doin’ pretty damn good!

Tester

A quart every 4K is actually pretty good, even if it’s a “reman” engine.

That is well within what the industry considers normal with today’s cars.

As has been said, 1 qt every 4k is actually a very good rate of oil consumption. If I were you, I would use that 4k interval as a good opportunity to change the oil anyway.

And, as has also been said, car manufacturers will always tell customers complaining about oil consumption that having to add 1 qt every 1,000 miles is within “normal” limits. How would you feel if you owned a new Audi and had to add a qt ~every 800 miles, as many Audi owners have reported to this forum?