Splashback after gas tank refill

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango that consistently burps gas back out of the filler neck if I refill it completely. I complained to the service manager who dismissed it as “common” for Durangos.

I disagree with that assessment. It used to not do that. Also, I think it’s a violation of federal clean air laws related to evaporative emissions.

Any suggestions as to what’s wrong, and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

The problem is “refilling it completely” if you are continuing after the fuel nozzle shuts off. You can be damaging your evaporative emissions system by doing this. Once the nozzle shuts off you should stop pumping in more gas because it will tend to splash back.

I am not continuing after the fuel nozzle shuts off. It shuts off on its own, I remove the nozzle, and it gushes back.

You answer is presumptuous and not helpful. Do you always assign blame without information?

I doubt if you are going to get any more help here now. Why dont you go to past threads and see what you can find. Missileman was just giving you an honest opinion and I see nothing wrong with the way he phrased it. You did not give the information to help him give you a better one. bye bye friend.

“if you are continuing after the fuel nozzle shuts off” is not assigning blame. You phrased it in a way that could have meant that you “overfilled” your tank. Overfilling is common among the driving public. “If” you use the fastest setting on the fuel nozzle you can cause the splash back as well.

I regret any offense. I do not overfill. Except for filling it manually at the very slowest possible rate, it will do this every time. I can avoid it only by not filling it to the point of automatic stop.

I didn’t use the correct search terms when I looked earlier. This thread seems relevant:

accent fueling hyundai problems
http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2137938.page

I’m not going to fix this myself. Shouldn’t the dealer service staff recognize my problem description immediately? Is it not covered under warranty as part of federal law covering emissions systems?

Except for filling it manually at the very slowest possible rate, it will do this every time. I can avoid it only by not filling it to the point of automatic stop.

I am still not sure exactly how you are refilling. However my best guess from your description would indicate that it may have been damaged by over-filling at some time or may be defective.

If it were mine, I would not worry as long as I could fill it most of the way full. Other than that, I would expect you will need to repair or replace the vent system for the tank. That is not cheap. I would guess you are not under factory warranty so …

“Other than that, I would expect you will need to repair or replace the vent system for the tank. That is not cheap. I would guess you are not under factory warranty so …”

I bought it new and usually don’t buy an extended warranty but, in this case, I did. It should be covered by that. But aren’t manufacturers obliged to warrant all parts of car’s emissions system for an extended period? I think fuel handling is covered by that, because evaporated gasoline is a significant source of hydrocarbon air pollution.