Fuel Tank OVERFLOW

Lately my 2005 Dodge Durango will overflow gas when filling up completely. It does not make a difference where or what type of pump is used. The auto shut off on the pump does not kick in until there is fuel running down the side of the truck and onto the ground. What changed and how to fix it?

As long as you insert the nozzle all the way into the filler opening, it WILL shut off unless the nozzle itself is defective.

I have a 2005 durango. In January, 2009 I was washing my windshield while the nozzle was in the fuel tank putting gas in the tank. I have had this car for 3 yrs and put 40,000 miles a year on it. I love the car and fill up with gas quite a bit. This time, I returned to the fuel door side of the car to see gas running down the side of the car, nozzle still in the filler neck, running. I complained and thought this was a faulty nozzle. It overflows every time I try and fill it up all the way now. I’m not talking about “topping off”. I’m 52 yrs old. I know how to put gas in my car. Something is wrong!

No, you don’t know how to refuel your vehicle, regardless of your age or experience. For safety reasons, you DON’T walk away from where the fuel hose is filling your fuel tank, regardless of whether it has a lever catch, or not. You might be right, but, do you want to be DEAD right?!

For safety reasons, you DON’T walk away from where the fuel hose is filling your fuel tank, regardless of whether it has a lever catch, or not.

You may want to check the vent system on your car to make sure it is working. Have you asked at the station if anyone else is having problems?

It does not sound like the usual problem, but are you in the habit of topping off the tank when you fill it up?

I use to live across the street from a station and yea, it certainly happens too much for me to leave a pump running.

I remember them having a fire there, but that was someone who ran over a pump.

Wild man - let go of the gas pump handle back again. OK, I went back and filled my durango up again. Paying close attention. When the tank gets full, the nozzle does shut off. Then, about 3 seconds later ( I actually pulled the nozzle out before this happened ) I could hear this gurgling sound like a normal tank makes as it gets full. Then the fuel started to erupt out of the tank. I estimate about a pint of gas spewed out. It’s almost like the pressure built up in the tank. Is there a vent somewhere besides the filler neck that could be plugged?

Recall Date:
JAN 08, 2009
Model Affected:
2005 Dodge Durango
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 18,951 MY 2005 DODGE DURANGO VEHICLES. THE FUEL TANK FILLER TUBE INLET CHECK VALVE MAY NOT FULLY CLOSE AT THE END OF REFUELING. THIS COULD ALLOW SOME FUEL TO ESCAPE FROM THE VEHICLE THROUGH THE FILLER NECK AT THE END OF REFUELING.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/dodge/durango/recalls/index.html#ixzz1TnSz6vEg