Speedometer on older cars

When looking at older trucks and cars, when did the speedometer change reading 99,000 miles to 100,000 miles - the accomodation for the 6th digit?

I don’t recall ever seeing the sixth digit(actually 7th) on mechanical odometers. With the advent of digital LED instrument clusters the odometer seemed to get the digit added.

my grandma’s 1988 mercury sable only had 5 digits, but our 1992 camry has 200000 miles and you can see all six digits. It is a standard rollover style with 6 digits, not electronic, my subaru is also not electronic, but has 6 digits.

On pretty much every 1980’s era car: Japanese car = 6 digits. American car = 5 digits. If that is not telling, then I don’t know what is.

My 1984 Honda Accord was still running strong at 212,000 miles and had a 6 digit analog mechanical odometer. I sold it in 2001 and it might still be on the road.

Most cars, Japanese, domestic, European, etc. don’t get to roll the little 6th digit past “2” anyway (if they’re lucky) So I don’t know what it would be telling except boundless optimism, especially on 80s cars. On 80s Japanese cars the extra digit could be put to better use indicating the percentage of rust on the vehicle, at least in the snow belt.

Mine do. And most of my friends’ do.

I’d wager that most cars today (1995 and newer) are, in fact, kept on the road beyond 200,000 miles.

Yes, I think you’re right, but a much smaller percentage make it to 300K.