Speedometer defunkt, gas gauge wacky

My speedometer began to behave in a bizarre manner last November, two days after getting the car washed…erratic readings, or nothing at all. At the same time, the gas gauge would be set in motion. After an oil change on 11/2, the problem seemed to resolve itself until it returned last week. The check engine light is now on. Our mechanic believes that I need a new transmission. Others mention a sensor that needs to be replaced.

I suggest a trip to an independent automobile “electric” shop…I believe that you could have a “ground” wire problem. Jim in Ohio

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

If it is flashing don’t drive the car.

Thanks Jim…I will follow through on your suggestion.

Excellent idea, Joseph…another invaluable tip! Will get the codes and post if the ground wire problem does not resolve the issue.

Most appreciative of your suggestion.

Same thing happened to my 2003 Beetle about two years after I bought it (new). The dealership simply replaced the speedometer sensor in the transmission. Other than a quiet whine, the problem was fixed. It was under warranty at the time, so I have no idea what the fix cost.

This problem is common is Chevy trucks and is due to them purchasing substandard servo motors that drive the dials.

There was a silent recall on that one. They only let you know it was a recall item if you were about pay for it to be repaired… No wonder they went bankrupt.