CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Speed sensor on 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

So my speedometer and odometer have stopped working on my subaru…I cannot find where the speed sensor is and I was wondering if this was something I could replace? I’ve changed an alternator before and feel comfortable messing with my car. Does anyone know where it is exactly on a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 1997?

The speedo cable would be my first suspect. I’m pretty sure 97’s still used a cable.
It is plugged into on the top of the transmission on the passenger side. Look down from the firewall and you’ll see it. It is held in with a very simple paperclip-looking hold down. It could have come undone.

If you truly want to replace the vehicle speed sensor, it is located here on a 95. I’m almost positive the 95 and 97 transmissions are identical.
That speed sensor is used by the computer to determine when to shift, I think. Unless they changed things on a 97, it isn’t used to deflect the speedo.

This took me a while to find but look on this drawing for #7 on your bellhousing.

The speed sensor for the speedometer is located behind the instrument cluster. Not on the transmission.

Tester