Speed sensor on 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

So my speedometer and odometer have stopped working on my subaru…I cannot find where the speed sensor is and I was wondering if this was something I could replace? I’ve changed an alternator before and feel comfortable messing with my car. Does anyone know where it is exactly on a Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 1997?

The speedo cable would be my first suspect. I’m pretty sure 97’s still used a cable.
It is plugged into on the top of the transmission on the passenger side. Look down from the firewall and you’ll see it. It is held in with a very simple paperclip-looking hold down. It could have come undone.

If you truly want to replace the vehicle speed sensor, it is located here on a 95. I’m almost positive the 95 and 97 transmissions are identical.
That speed sensor is used by the computer to determine when to shift, I think. Unless they changed things on a 97, it isn’t used to deflect the speedo.

This took me a while to find but look on this drawing for #7 on your bellhousing.

The speed sensor for the speedometer is located behind the instrument cluster. Not on the transmission.

Tester