Spare tire on a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country LXi

I have a question about a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country LXi. I know the spare tire hardware on these vehicles is unique, if cumbersome… But does anyone know if you can hold a full-sized replacement tire in the hardware for this model? I know some models of the T/C come with full size spares but others did not. This model came from the factory with a compact spare, but I want to know if a person could have put their own full-sized tire back into the spare housing after removing or using the compact spare. Thanks!

Can you measure the spare tire compartment?

A full size spare tire was an option on your Town and Country however the spare tire winches are different. There is a bulletin warning that the secondary locking mechanism may not function if the wrong wheel is stored on the wrong winch. You can identify witch winch you have by looking at the wheel retainer.

BULLETIN NUMBER:
22-01-00

GROUP:
Wheels & Tires

DATE:
Mar.24, 2000

SUBJECT:
Spare Tire Winches

MODELS:
1999 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1999 - 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN DOES NOT APPLY TO 1999 TOWN & COUNTRY VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO JULY 2, 1998.

DISCUSSION:
Beginning November 1,1999, the spare tire winch that is installed during vehicle assembly is determined by the size/type of spare tire the vehicle is built with. DO NOT switch the size/type of spare tire a vehicle is equipped with unless the spare tire winch is the correct one for the size/type of spare tire to be used. Replacement of the spare tire winch may be required.

The spare tire winches are equipped with a secondary locking mechanism that may not function properly if a full size spare or T125 70D15 Compact Spare is stored on a T145 90D16 compact spare winch or vise-versa.

The illustration shows the correct application and identification for 1999-2000 NS-vehicle spare tire winches:

PARTS INFORMATION

CAUTION: DO NOT SWITCH THE SIZE/TYPE OF SPARE TIRE A VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH UNLESS THE SPARE TIRE WINCH IS CORRECT FOR THE NEW SIZE/TYPE OF SPARE TIRE AS CALLED OUT IN THE TABLE ABOVE. REPLACEMENT OF THE SPARE TIRE WINCH MAY BE REQUIRED.

I am thinking when you have a flat you put the spare on the car and the flat tire in the location for the spare. So the hardware should be able to handle it. Maybe I am being too simple.

A full size spare can be stowed under the vehicle but as the bulletin explains the secondary locking mechanism may not work, meaning if the cable should break (rust) the wheel will be lost and become a road hazard to other motorists. I have never seen one rust or break but I live in the desert.