Spare tire for 2011 Hyundai Elantra

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra and it does not come with a donut spare tire. I have P205/55R16 size tires on it, but I want to replace tire repair kit with the proper size donut tire. Please HELP!

A large tire store should be able to order a “donut” spare tire (and wheel) in the appropriate size for you.
Have you visited any tire stores?

That Gives “Economy Car” A Whole New Meaning ! I Hope You Knew That The Spare Was Missing Before You Agreed To Purchase The Car.

I would have made a deal on the car and then made the final purchase contingent upon the dealer locating a proper spare and including it free of charge.

Anyhow, I don’t know Hyundais from Hondas, but are there other model-years of Elantras or other models of Hyundais with that tire and a spare tire ? That’s what I’d check and if so I’d be sure the lug pattern is the same.

CSA

Does the car come with those run-flat tires from the factory?

I too bought a new 2011 Elantra GLS sedan without knowing there was no spare tire in the trunk. When I became aware, I went back to the dealer to order one. I was told that a spare is not available and cannot be ordered…!! The tires on the new Elantra are not even run-flats. I then drove to several big tire stores and they cannot order a donut or compact spare for me and had no knowledge that new cars are being sold without spares. I’m very aggravated. The fix-it spray is worthless to me and I don’t feel like being stranded and alone with a blowout. Now what do I do? Should I just buy a full size tire and carry it in the trunk which will take up all my trunk cargo space?? I’m in Orange County, CA.

This is becoming more common as automakers look for more ways to increase gas mileage, reduce cost, and increase interior and cargo room. Expect this trend to continue since eliminating the spare tire and tools to change it is an easy and cost-effective way to shed 40 pounds or so from a new car and net a little better fuel efficiency rating. Your options are to carry a spare wheel/tire of some kind, as well as a jack and lug wrench as these things are eliminated along with the spare tire, join AAA or some other roadside assistance program, or add towing to your car insurance policy. I would check into the latter since it is sometimes cheaper and has better benefits than AAA. My sister ended up with a dead battery some two hours from home once late at night, and called me for advice. I told her to call the roadside assistance number on her insurance card to see if they could send a wrecker to give her a jump. By doing this, she found out she had towing coverage up to $150 a year and didn’t even realize it. Check it out; your car insurance may cover assistance for this sort of thing if Hyundai’s supposed “tire repair kit” can’t get you back on the road. By the way, tire techs loathe fix-a-flat.

Well, if you visit a junk yard you might be able to buy a donut size that fits the lug pattern, but I suggest you move faster. My gut says the price on used trashy donuts is going to go up.

Thanks Mark for your advice. I do have AAA roadside assistance. I know I could get towed somewhere but suppose I get a blowout one night when no repair stations are open to repair my tire or to buy a new tire? And AAA will only tow a minimum number of miles. Then I’m still stranded…!!! I have been referred to two tire & wheel dealers to check with… one online and one in my area. If they can’t help me, then I see my only option is to buy a full size wheel and carry it in my cargo trunk area which will use up all the space there. Not efficient, is it??

As galant said, nearly every car that hits the junk yard has a space saver spare. All you have to do is know the lug pattern and wheel diameter to get one to fit. They sell them to dock makers to roll docks in the water but after that don’t think there is much of a market.

I see a business opportunity here. Anybody want to put money down on a donut tire shop, jack and lug wrench?

Funny,

My 2011 Mazda RX-8 didn’t come with a spare tire either, but I knew of this before I ever set foot in a car dealer with intentions on buying it.

Also, before I ever set foot in the car dealer, I knew that the spare tire was an option I could purchase for my car, and that the dealer installs it after purchase, unless you are lucky enough to find a car that already has this option installed.

One final thing, if I were considering a car that doesn’t have a spare tire, and that the manufacturer doesn’t have an option for a spare tire, I would have already looked at buying a cheap spare wheel and tire that would fit the car in the event of a flat. I would either buy one from a salvage yard, or a tire reseller, like Tire Rack. And yes, I would buy a full size rim and tire, but the cheapest of both that they have.

BC.

I’ll check with Tire Rack. Thanks.!

My thought is the so called tire mobility kit may have the potential of being dangerous. Reason being is when a temporary spare is used normally the flat tire is taken to a tire repair shop dismounted inspected and if OK properly repaired. With the tire mobility kit, sealer is used to stop the leak. So what if the driver ran a little while on the flat ruining the cords on the side wall, and then sealed the leak with the repair kit. Now there is a possibility of catastrophic tire failure and possible loss of control of the vehicle.

Well, isn’t that special…!!! I’ve always thought spares are a safety feature and, therefore, standard equipment like seat belts. So safety is now being sacrificed for a few extra mpg ???

When was the last time YOU had to change a tire on your car?
Was this tire changed because all your tires were bald, and one finally had a hole poked through it, or were all the tires brand new, and you randomly ran over an object in the road.

I’ve had more flats on motorcycles than I have had on cars.
The last car I had a flat on that I had to pull over and switch over to a spare was back in the early 90’s, and that’s because the tire that went flat had a bubble in the sidewall that eventually popped. I was a teenager back then, and couldn’t afford the new tire for another week.

Spare tire isn’t a safety feature, its a convenience feature.

BC.

more like saving a few bucks per car, though the lower weight and slightly better mpg is a bonus.

According to Tirerack.com, your bolt pattern is 5-114 and you overall tire and wheel diameter is 24.98 inches. With this information you should have enough for a tire store to match a doughnut to your car. You offset and backspacing are Offset:: 48mm Backspacing: 5.93", but those aren’t critical on a doughnut.

Thanks so much for the needed info to locate a donut to fit my new Elantra GLS. (^;^)

You’re very welcome.

Another option would be to get a wheel with a matching bolt pattern but a narrow rim and put a narrow tire on that would give you roughly the same rolling radius as your OEM tires.

To Mountainbike and all of you who were so nice to post suggestions and info on helping me find a donut to fit my new Elantra… thank you…!! I went over to my Hyundai dealer this afternoon to ask if a rear spoiler kit is available yet, and I once again asked about a donut spare. Well, the parts department just happened to have a factory donut kit for my car complete with jack, tools and hold down bolt in an unopened box. The service department assembled the tire on the wheel for me and secured it down under my trunk car mat where spares are carried. The kit was $290 with everything included, and I do not feel anxious driving alone now knowing that if I have a blowout, at least I have a tire to get me back on the road. So thanks again… from a lady ‘no longer’ in distress. Lee