Smoking stench from 2016 Kia Optima wheel well after shudder

After an hour’s drive on the highway, my car started slowing down even though the cruise control was set and there were no cars in front of me.

After a few minutes of that, the car started shuddering whenever I stepped on the gas. I pulled over to see what was going on. Smoke, heat, and stench were coming out of one of the front wheel wells.

I had the car towed to the dealer, and they found nothing. There were no score or scorch marks on the brake disk, the calipers didn’t show any signs of wear, and they test drove it without noticing anything.

After I picked up the car, I drove it back to where the problem happened (one hour) and back (another hour). There didn’t seem to be anything wrong.

I’ve been driving it around, city and highway, for a week now with no trouble; but I’m nervous.

Sounds like the ABS system was putting that brake on. Why?..ABS module? ABS actuator? Sensor? Connector? Wiring?..dunno.

Would there be a stored code for an event like that?

After the dealer ruled out any problems with the actual brake calipers, I asked about the ABS. They said there were no codes stored.

I have no real choice but to drive the car until it bursts into flames.