Sleeve bearings or not sleeve bearings

I just thought there were plain bearings that were the two halves like on a crankshaft or most connecting rod lowers, bushings that were like plain bearings but were complete circles (tubular), ball bearings that had balls in them, and roller bearings that had rolling rods instead of balls. But I could not tell you where or how I learned that, if I learned it at all or if I just sort of figured that’s what they were. I never had any formal mechanical training.

That’s the important part.
Wondering of it is a regional thing, or perhaps something I took with me from the manufacturing industry, was what motivated me to initiate the post. I tend to still regularly use a lot of terms that came from that industry.

I myself have learned from the thread that “shell” is a common for this configuration of bearing. That too may be regional.

I learned a lot of regional terms in the military. Most aren’t fit for a family forum. :rofl:

@the_same_mountainbike “become obsolete?” Speaking of which it is might not be long in the tooth, but short in the gums :weary:

Don’t forget about needle bearings, I was talking with a friend recently recalling probably in the early 90’s about working on my 60’s boat motor. I did not have a dwell meter at the cabins, went to a parts store looking for one. Younger guy at the parts store, deer in the headlights, let me ask the old guy. Old guy, we haven’t carried a dwell meter in years.

Reminds me of the icon of a floppy disk used for save in computer gui’s, there are probably many computer users that have never even put their hands on a floppy disk. Kind of like how many people have ever held an oil can like in the idiot light, but then again I never have seen an oil can like the one pictured in the idiot light (were they prone to leaking?). Probably the key symbol will seem obsolete within the decade.

Maybe there will be an icon of a buggy whip someday for “At least go the speed limit PLEASE”

I recall railroad workers in the roundhouse where I grew up, working on steam locomotives using oil cans that looked like that icon.

1 Like

What,nobody remembers those oilers? You know the glass containers that would drip oil on the bearings to keep them lubbed? Saw lots of those in the old wood shop I worked at as a student. Just filled the oilers up with oil and set how much you wanted it to drip and make sure they didn’t run out of oil.

So you would pressurize the oiler with the thumb pump (I assume) then set the drip rate?

a sleeve bearing is a bushing in my world. vs a roller bearing. motors use split sleeve bearing on the crank and rod journals. split bearing works with bearing cap. but than many motors use no replaceable bearing for the OHC journals. the bearing cap has no removable bearing. years ago VW did have a roller bearing crank setup. pretty sure it came out of germany.

So what does this say re “sleeves?”

https://www.google.com/search?q=Speedi-sleeve&client=firefox-b-1&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT9_Lnn9rXAhWK5IMKHakMCDYQsxgIJw&biw=1224&bih=788

I’ve heard the term sleeve bearing applied to both the split type (top and bottom half shell) bearings used in auto engines, and the single piece bronze-bushing type, often used in electric motors. Either way is fine by me.

I am aware of those repair sleeves but you will notice that the manufacturers don’t refer to them as bearings. Besides, I did not state that there was not anything called a sleeve bearing on a car, just that I had never heard of it. I am always willing to be enlightened.

And I would testify to that. I have absolutely no trouble with that statement whatsoever, and in fact it is the statement that compelled me to wonder how common the term was or wasn’t. Which is all I asked in my post. I even allowed that it might be a holdover from a prior career, or simply a regional term.

I’m glad I asked the original question. I’ve learned some things, although not the things that the one who so adamantly told me what the correct term was, or that told me in no uncertain terms what a “sleeve bearing” was (although my question was about a split sleeve bearing, not simply a sleeve bearing). And corrected my English… incorrectly.

It’s been fun.

Yes, the then you suggested in his statement indicates doing something in the future that he has not done in the past. The use of than, I had thought was a typo until he defended it.

@Barkydog Just gravity. Gee, I guess they still have them and thought it was turn of the century technology.

https://www.tricocorp.com/product-category/gravity-feed-oilers/

Which century? :smile:

Seriously, with the exception of the electronics, almost everything in a modern car is based on century-old technology, much of it from the industrial revolution. And it still works! The one thing that goes back to the industrial revolution that I’ve always thought was brilliant in its simplicity in how it solved a very complex technical problem is the basic differential. If I were presented with designing something that could allow large amounts of torque to be divided in two directions yet allow each side to turn at its own speed differently from the other, and had only a clean sheet to work with, I’m not sure I’d have the genius to do it. IMHO the simple differential is a work of true genius.

3 Likes