Sinkhole Swallows 8 Corvettes

Reminds me of this story from last year about a giant sinkhole in Louisiana due to drilling in a salt dome:

It sounds like Gm is going to restore the two cars that were on loan from them, as for the rest? I bet if the Corvette museum holds their hand out a little they can get the money to restore the rest, This country has priorities and Corvettes is one of them.

I was there in 2000 and Its amazing to think all the people that walked over that soon to be sinkhole. Screw the cars, thank God no one was in there when it happened.

I wonder how many peoples houses are sitting on similar situations.

I can see it now…taking a tour of Mammoth Caves…and getting run over by a Corvette as someone from the tour group finds it and decides to drive it out.

When is the next tour?

"When is the next tour? "

They’re taking one now:

I read somewhere that GM is going to help with the restoration of all of the cars involved, not just theirs.

@DrRocket: I actually heard the same thing. On the “Bob & Tom” show while driving in to work the other morning, of all places.

Update:

They’re still digging Vettes out of that sinkhole. The most recent is a 1993 ZR-1 Spyder and so far, it seems to have suffered the worst damage.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/one-more-corvette-emerges-from-sinkhole/article_4932c7a9-3036-5b61-9fd8-2aa9a7c62b53.html

They’re proving to be a hit at the museum -

Sinkholes are quite something. I visited the Yucatan a few years ago, which, like Florida, is one big sheet of limestone with the water table just a few feet down. Cenotes (water-filled sinkholes) are pretty much the only water accessible to the surface. You can drive clear across the Yucatan and not cross a single bridge, as there are no streams. All the water sinks right in. We went on a bouse tour and the guude explained that building swimming pools wasn’t a very good idea unless you had an expensive study made of subsurface conditions. The older homes are built around courtyards. Some people thought a pool in the courtyard would be lovely, and it was, until it collapsed into a sinkhole and took part of the house with it.

This isn’t a normal sink hole. It’s just the ground opened up into Mammoth Caves. The Largest cave system in the US. Over 400 miles of explored caves…and they know there are many more miles yet to explore.

The Mallett Hammer Z06 being pulled out: