Simple(?) ALTERNATOR removal?

I need a reply,then I will let it die.

thanks.

myself.

The Cougar alternator is in a recess, obscured by interfering parts…suspension and drive-train, and fender wall. The spacings are such that it’s quite difficult to predetermine which components need to be repositioned, or removed, to allow removal of the alternator. It did look like lowering the sub-frame might yield the necessary clearance.
I found no paper repair manuals which cover this Cougar. My library edition of alldata and Haynes were no help. As I said, “Results at eleven.”

Here is the link to the promised, “Details at eleven”: http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1918609.page

Even my trusty old Honda Accord has some repairs which are a pain . . . change of the alternator is one of them. It requires removal of the axle and (much) figiting, but it is do-able. Patience. Any car has a few tough jobs . . . look at it from a different angle and follow m’catz advice . . . think out of the box, maybe you’ll come up with an easier way than the shop manual. Good luck! Rocketman

And, just to add, Toyota is NOT immune to such design flaws. I have a 1993 Toyota Celica, 1.6L, and the starter is mounted high up under the intake manifold near the firewall. But, the exhaust cross-under and passenger side driveshaft make this a royal PITA to get to and remove. Also, my 1988 Toyota Supra starter uses bolts and nuts to fasten it into place. High up again under the intake manifold, but the upper bolt is nearly impossible to access on top of the starter, and requires quite a bit of contortion to reach. Don’t get me started on the studs to the clutch master cylinder. And, good luck trying to remove the A/C compressor without shifting the engine.

Have you guys considered that how-to instructions aren’t written for people who already know how to? No, it’s for those who don’t know…especially, for the less experienced DIYers. Have you forgotten that these boards are public?
Anyway, this how-to is for those who need it, and can’t find such instructions anywhere else: http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1918609.page

The problem of knowing everything is not being able to learn anything new.