Silly signs

try again

Sorry folks , I tried twice to post pics but it just didn’t work. The sign was a diamond shaped yellow road sign showing a car driving off the pier. Also there is a life preserver on a roap directly below the sign which is right across the street from a pub.

Here is a silly one…
http://neighborshame.com/10-witty-signs-in-public/5/

…and a very helpful one…
http://neighborshame.com/10-witty-signs-in-public/

Re the above, I actually saw this few weeks ago on I95S near Portsmouth:

Several large obvious signs stating something like: State Police speed check ahead

Then, a quarter mile on, two troopers with radar guns

Then, another quarter mile on, a trooper with two pulled over cars, getting tickets.

Now who would be stupid enough to get caught in such an obvious speed trap?

b

^
Perhaps those drivers were paying so much attention to their hand-held cell phones while driving that they never even saw the signs.
No, I’m not trying to be funny.
Some people really are that distracted from the actual task of driving.

Then, there are some people who probably don’t believe the signs–or anything else, for that matter.
Even though it was a movie, one of my favorite (ridiculous) movie quotations of all time was from the hippie chick in the film, Atlantic City:

At one point in the film, she tells one of the other characters, “I don’t believe in gravity”.

:wink:

@BillRussel and @VDCdriver my guess is that those drivers read the signs, but thought “yeah right”. I think that’s what I’d do.

I remember a newspaper story about the local county mounties putting up a hand made sign that said “Police drug search ahead”. The sign was posted near a side road that locals knew would go off to the right for a few miles and then rejoin the highway. Those who took the side road found the REAL drug search around the first bend.

GeorgeSanJose

@B.L.E. should I ever encounter that sign at some point in the future, no question about it, I’ll immediately turn right toward the winery … lol …

I believe that sign actually exists because I remember seeing it shortly after the “welcome to Texas” sign on I-10 when I was returning home from Louisiana. Come to think of it, Houston and San Antonio are the only real speed bumps on I-10 through Texas. There are stretches in West Texas where they need a sign that reads “absolutely nothing next 200 miles”.

Ah West Texas. The only place* I’ve ever been that’s flat and featureless enough to observe the curvature of the earth on dry land.
*(Also portions of extreme eastern NM, too.)

@meanjoe75fan Parts of Wyoming, Montana and eastern Washington are flat and empty enough to see the earth’s curvature there also.

meanjoe75fan Ah West Texas. The only place* I've ever been that's flat and featureless enough to observe the curvature of the earth on dry land. *(Also portions of extreme eastern NM, too.)

But we do have magnificent sunsets and sunrises.

Lubbock sunset photo DSCN0467_zps3bfb0c19.jpg

In Maine, up North, we have scenic views with forty foot trees blocking the view. We don’t need those places because you can see forever when you get to a hilltop.

Hills, I’ve heard about them. :wink:

@B.L.E. Actually I was bragging on W. TX. I love driving through it (or flying over it) and admiring just how flat and empty it is. They have that “caprock” and it’s just mirror-smooth where it hasn’t been eroded.

My wife still giggles when she see’s the sign: “Slow Children Ahead.” She knows what it means but it always strikes her as funny.

This one is common I suppose, but there is a radiator shop in the town where I live that at one time had a sign out front that said TAKE A LEAK HERE.

On US Route 1, in Edison, NJ, there is an auto electric shop with a sign that says… Does your car turn over in the morning?
The sign is mounted directly over an old junker that is sitting on its roof.

A tire shop in Austin, TX.

photo ifitsinstock_zps71afg6ul.jpg

There was a local plumber around here that had painted across the back of his truck
"Don’t sleep with a drip
Call Al the Plumber"

Yosemite

I’ve been stationed in Illinois and North Dakota. Both offer unobstructed views all the way to the curve of the earth.

I’ve never been to Oklahoma, but based on everything I’ve read on the “dust bowl years” and the topsoil blowing away, I have no doubt that they must have similar views, especially up at the “panhandle”.

Literally seeing the curvature of the Earth while land-bound is a myth. Standing on a 100’ tall tower on flat ground would require you to see the curvature of an arc of less than 0.2 degrees on a 4000 mile radius circle from 13 miles away.