Should the law be changed on tinted windows?

Hello everyone!

I’m seeking your opinion on the law prohibiting tinted windows on cars 65% and down.

If I’m right, it is acceptable to have your car tinted no darker than 70% in Newyork.

If one has a qualifying health condition, then the DMV will issue a permit to the driver for tinted windows.

However, my health condition is not qualified according to the DMV rules, and so I face extreme inconveniences, as well feel unsafe as a driver out there.

My eyes are sensitive to light, and wearing a sunglasses over my prescription glasses doesn’t completely block light from hitting my eyes, especially from the side of the windows. And tint that has 70% shade is near to crystal clear, thus doesn’t help with blocking bright light from hitting my eyes.

My car is illegally tinted with 50% shade which corrects my issue and makes driving a beautiful and safe experience.

I run into issues every year when doing my state inspection.

What do you think? Right now I avoid driving in the mornings because of this particular problem. And I’m not the only one who suffers from light sensitivity. I have two friends who deliberately avoid from driving in the day time because of the Newyork law on tinted windows.

Other states allow darker tine, like Texas. You could move or wear tinted glasses to overcome your problem. That’s what my sister does.

1 Like

Buy stronger sunglasses, the wrap-around kind to prevent light in from the sides.

4 Likes

I can’t find any that will fit my prescription glasses. I brought this concern to my doctor and he wrote a letter to the DMV requesting permit to have tinted windows and his letter got denied also.

Do you work a night shift ?

Wrap around PRESCRIPTION sunglasses

4 Likes

I would much rather go in person to try these glasses. I know I have before and there were none that fit my prescription glasses.

I appreciate your help nevertheless in trying to find a solution.

I personally think NEWYORK law should accept a doctor’s explanation when obtaining a permit for tinted windows. I understand criminals use tinted windows to conceal their identities, but they should at least listen to the doctor. Some of us have legit reasons for a tinted window permit.

Have you talked to your Eye Dr about him/her prescribing Prescription Sunglasses??? I think that is what some others are recommending…

The sun is brighter in the south. Moving will make that more of a problem outside of cars but maybe better in them.

Florida allows 28% tint (blocks 72%) but not on the windsheild.

I saw after a web search really dark sunglasses that claim to fit over regular glasses . Less than 25.00 , certainly cheaper than 2200.00 wheels and more useful .

2 Likes

I wonder why one state is fine with it and the other isn’t. It’s the same United states.

I just don’t understand.

It’s all about the state and local laws versus federal laws…

1 Like

You live in New York and your legislature thinks they know what’s right for you and your screen name is “clueless” so I doubt you will understand.

5 Likes

I actually laughed at this response. I love it.

You are right which makes it even funnier :v:

2 Likes

Yeah my wife has prescription nglaesses. I just had the magnetic attachment though. Neither are wrap around but the doc can fix you p.

Police need to be able to see inside for their safety so tinting is limited to rear side and rear windows.

1 Like

Instead of trying ro wear sunglasses over your prescription glasses, why not get prescription sunglasses?

1 Like

I had cataract extraction in both eyes. Since then my eyes have become sensitive to light. My prescription glasses doesn’t become dark enough to block light from affecting the eyes, so I use these clip ons that go over the prescription glasses which help. However, light from the side of the windows are affecting my eyes still. The only solution I have found that works is tinting the windows 50%.

You can try something like these that fit over your glasses and have sides to block the sun from coming in through the side of glasses.

2 Likes

I tried some of these in the store at the mall close by. I couldn’t find one that fits my specific glasses, and they felt heavy on my face, especially having two on. My nose was bothered.

The clip-on I have is lightweight and still makes my glasses feel a bit heavy.

Ironically, I asked some cops at the park if they thought my windows were too dark and informed them that they were 50% and illegal. They told me it didn’t look dark to them and that they wouldn’t bother anyone with that kind of tint shade. But advised that things could be different in the city.

I, however, can’t pass state inspection with the tints on.

Not really possible to make prescription wraparound sunglasses within 0.13 tolerance if your prescription is stronger than -3.00 because of the curvature of the frames. I believe the tinting laws are such the driver and passengers can be seen from outside the vehicle by law enforcement.