Should I paint brake drums?

Good point, Mike. Here in coastal CT, you can leave bare metal out for a day to see rust form.
Rust on the outside of the drums isn’t a big deal.

If the rust is not big and chunky…just use High Temp Header paint and just spray away… Use a dark grey or black… and just spray the hell out of them. It will stick just fine and make them look a lot nicer.

Use a BIG hammer to LOOSEN the drum…once it can be unseated from the hub…you may need to then turn the brake adjuster IN…to clear the LIP…that usually forms at the edge of the hub. The hammer is only used to UNSEAT the drum…after that whether they come off or not is due to the brake shoe adjuster…there is a little window on the back side of the brake plate…a rubber plug that allows you to adjust the self adjuster… You may need to loosen the shoes so they “shrink away” and allow the drum to come off easily…

Blackbird

@MikeInNH

Perhaps I misunderstood his meaning of ‘corrosion.’ I didn’t mean just rust on it (which I agree is ok,) but was thinking more along the lines of pitting and holes forming- things that would weaken the drum.

I live in AZ, so we don’t deal much with rust, lol

:slight_smile: