Should I buy a used Ford Taurus X?

Found several 2008s for under 22,000$ but the millage is kind of high (45000 - 55000). The Xes are what turned into Flexes. Anything wrong with the Taurus X???

I’m not familiar with the Taurus X or any quirks they may have but I would advise a thorough inspection before any purchase. An inspection is no guarantee of a problem free car but it can help improve the odds in your favor.

The thing that would concern me most is the number of fleet cars and leases put back into the market. Many of these vehicles, especially leases, may have had little maintenance and a rougher than normal life.
This is because many people who lease a car know they will not own it for the long term so they don’t care if they flog it into the pavement and certainly have no intention of spending any of their money on basic maintenance, including oil changes.

It would have to be way under. For $22k, there are too many decent new car buys out there. Even a brand new Taurus is within shouting range. Too high mileage, too many ifs. I’d pass.

I’d pass for that price.
A friend of mine swears by them, though. He periodically buys a cheap, relatively high mile Taurus and it takes them a respectable amount of time to run it into the ground to then buy another one.

The Taurus X is the newer version of the Freestar (or Freestyle-not sure), just a station wagon with CVT transmission. The only reason I would buy one would be steep depreciation on the used market making it a good deal. At $22K this is good money to buy any decent size & quality brand new sedan or crossover.

I agree with the majority on this issue. A vehicle priced at 22k that’s 4 years old and having 1/4 of it’s probable life used up is not a good deal on any day of the week.

You could also see it as an opportunity. Just because he asking price is around $22,000 doesn’t mean the seller will not take less. Dealer price for an AWD Limited version with all the options is a little less than $21,500 according to Edmunds and there is no deduction for high mileage at 55,000. You should check out pricing ner you on Edmunnds.com, cars.com, nadaguides.com and see what the exact cars you are looking at sell for near you.

$22k seems really steep for a Ford anything with a Taurus badge. Check edmunds.com out for fair pricing.

I wouldn’t pay any attention to those deriding the vehicle because it is a Ford or a Taurus - every major survey shows that the Taurus X was a VERY reliable vehicle, and not many Freestyles or Taurus Xs were ever sold to fleets - so their resale value has actually held up remarkably well.

Also, the 2008 Taurus X didn’t have a CVT, but rather used the Ford 6F transmission (a standard 6 speed auto jointly designed by Ford and GM, also used on the Saturn Aura, Pontiac G6, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac Torrent, Chevrolet Traverse, Cadillac SRX, Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Impala, Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKS, Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute, Ford Fusion, Lincoln MKZ, and Mercury Milan).

As for the price, though, I think this should sell for well under $22k.

in my area, an 08 Taurus X limited with 45k miles, AWD, Navigation, DVD entertainment system, heated rear seats, rear AC, sunroof, sat. radio, 18" wheels, and power lift gate(basically, every option edmunds.com would let me select for the car), came to $23k for a dealer retail price, $18k trade in, and $20k private party.

compare that to the ones you are looking at and go from there