Shopping for steering/suspension parts

My car has 220k miles under it’s belt (no pun intended) and is due for new ball joints, tie rod ends and probably a few other front end components. OEM parts cost a fortune and would probably take a long time to be delivered. Moogs parts look good but are also very expensive. I found several different 6 piece kits on ebay but they seem too good to be true. One of these kits costs as much as just one Moogs ball joint and about $20 less than a single OEM ball joint from Mazda. So for about $50 bucks I can get two outer tie rod ends, two sway bar links and two lower ball joints. My concern is that these bargain parts won’t be exactly to spec making a proper front end alignment impossible. So do you guys know anything about these inexpensive ebay kits? Would I be wise to steer away (again, no pun intended) from these? The car still runs really well and I plan to keep driving it for several more years.

RUN AWAY. Buy quality parts, these are critical.

6 Likes

Do you know how to find out the OE manufacturer of these parts? Because if I could bypass Mazda and just buy them as aftermarket…

Go to a local parts store, and ask for these parts that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications.

Tester

3 Likes

I just replaced my tie rod ends with oem. They are quite substantial. Years ago I had a tie rod end break on the freeway. It was a one.year old mood part. It snapped apart. Parts made by who knows, may look nice but you will never know the metallurgy of the part or X-ray it for hidden flaws. Try rock for good parts at a reasonable cost. Broken suspension parts at 70 mph are fun.

If that is the case I would try to use the best parts possible and not the cheapest parts possible. Stick with name brand parts.

I’ve seen too many cheap front end parts worn within a couple of years to consider trying them on my own car.

1 Like

Alright, I feel better now.
I just ordered AutoZone’s top of the line tie rod ends. A weird brand (Rare Parts) I’ve never heard of but watched a youtube video about the company and they look like a good solid company. And for the ball joints I ordered Moogs Problem Solvers. Grand total: $180. I’ll be doing this job myself so even with the pricier parts I’m sure I’ll still save hundreds of dollars. So just out of curiosity, what do you guys estimate a shop would charge for parts/labor considering equal quality parts used?

Rare Parts are fine. I’ve used them with no issues. As for what a shop would charge that is difficult to say as there are so many variables. Locale makes a huge difference, shop markup percentage on the parts, local taxes (10% here) enviro fees, etc, etc. could mean that one place can be double what another charges. That needs to be priced locally.
Repair Pal offers some estimates but I consider them a bit iffy.

You need to factor in a wheel alignment after that work is completed.

Protege’s model year?

It’s a 1998

Front suspension, lower ball joint, about $80 each. A little less than 2 hours labor to replace ball joint both sides.