Shop fluid plastic squeeze bottles

Yes, that’s another use for that shape of squeeze bottle. I don’t use it for filling my battery though. I use the type shown in post 11 above, since there is plenty of room to work with above the battery. Still, it wouldn’t create as much spilled water if I used a lab squeeze bottle.

You just need the two sealing surfaces to maintain a small gap when there’s no pressure forcing them together. I expect that’s how my carburetor’s accel pump valve works, allowing air to pass each direction, but blocking airflow in one direction when stepping on the gas pedal.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/standard-ignition/performance/fuel---air-delivery/carburetors/carburetor-accelerator-pumps/7246263407bb/standard-ignition-accelerator-pump-check-valve/std0/fm16334r

Pull the inside tube out of the bottle and turn the bottle over when you want to dispense the fluid.

Do you have problems with your bottle self-emptying? Or do you just loosen the lid between uses?

That wouldn’t have worked for my recent bearing cup lube need, b/c there is no room in the enclosure to position the bottle higher than the bearing cup.

Then for those rare occasions, pick up a small diameter tube, like the airline for a fish tank from a pet store, and insert the an old, empty ball point pen ink tube into one end and when that rare occasion comes up, just insert the other end over the nozzle of the bottle and if the hose is long enough, you can sit in your car, with the A/C on, listening to a vintage episode of Click 'n Clack on NPR…

Let me guess; that will not work because your local NPR station does not play Click 'n Clack… L :laughing: L . . .

OMG How did this get so complicated? How much fluid do you really think you lose in a year?

Oh, we are capable of making anything simple, complex.
Resistance is futile

Not to mention, the thread for the caps is fairly universal on those containers. If you just have to have the curved spout, then take it off and put on a flip top cap when storing it. But that doesn’t require hours of virtual engineering gymnastics to devise a more complicated valving system to avoid all that cap switching effort :wink:

George does not have vehicle Air Conditioning, that is one of those Gadgets he tells people not to get on their new car.

Says something about the hair chems!..

"It’s an engine de-greaser!

No, it’s a coloring pre-treatment!

Stop it, you two…

New “Blaster” is both!.."

The stuff we do to ourselves.

1 Like

It sure does when you tend to over think most everything… It’s like Schrödinger’s Cat, don’t over think it, just open the damn box and see if it is alive or not, it really is just that simple…

George, just store whatever fluid in another sealed bottle, then pour a little bit in the curved bottle thing to use when needed for your bearing oiling thing you do and once done, pour the remainder back in the storage bottle or whatever…

To me this is the equivalent of buying a corded electric lawn mower to save the planet and then mounting a gas powered generator on top of it cause you don’t have any extension cords…

1 Like

OK, I understand.

Most people would just pull the tube up far enough so it wasn’t in the liquid

That was my first thought, but it looks like the tube and cap are one piece.

Bottle designs vary, but the standard squeeze lab bottle, the tube and cap cannot by separated by pulling on the top, so the only thing you can do is loosen the cap. Loosening the cap may not be necessary if the bottle is stored in a temperature controlled environment. These bottles are standard equipment in Silicon Valley electronics labs. But I’ve never asked the techs if they have to loosen the cap or not on their bottles.

The entire bottle self-empties in 2 or 3 days if I forget to loosen the cap. The biggest bottle size I use holds about one cup. When it empties you lose the contents, but the worse part is it creates a big mess. I have a theory how to solve this problem, will report back if it works.

That’s not because of just air expansion, the air will only expand a little. Say temp goes from 0 C to 35 C, air will expand by (273+35)/273 - 1 = 13%. How could that empty out your bottle? What was in the bottle?

edit - how big a temp swing? I guess over several cycles it could pull back in air when it cools off.

How about getting bottles with some sort of cap?

I’m also curious how it happens so fast. I have no explanation, but a few theories. Temperature is one factor, but barometric pressure changes might also contribute. There may be a siphon effect too. Of my two main-use bottles, one contains engine oil, and the other contains my home-brew thread penetrant. The thread penetrant bottle seems less likely to self-empty, but that may be b/c that bottle is usually less full. I have another smaller bottle that contains a plant-fertilizer water-based solution. It never self empties. But it is stored inside.

One thing is certain: If I remember to loosen the cap, the bottle will not self-empty.

Get these, put on cap, loosen top, squeeze out some air, tighten top.
Amazon.com: Hyber&Cara Safety Wash Bottle 3Pcs 250ml Plastic Squeeze Bottle with Cap for Lab Plant Watering Tattoo Wash Bottle with 1Pc Silicone Funnel : Industrial & Scientific

Younsolved your own problem! Put the bottles on a tray or in a shallow pan to catch whatever flows out. That puddle will remind you to crack the bottle top.

I’m very surprised by two things I’ve noticed during this thread. First, that these lab squeeze bottles seem mostly unheard of and not used by most posters here, both pro and diy’er. Second, that those who do use them don’t seem to have the self-emptying problem, or if they do they don’t do anything about it.