Shop fluid plastic squeeze bottles

I expect some of you diy’ers have this same shop problem: The fluids in your plastic squeeze bottles gets pumped out by the changes in temperature if you forget to loosen the caps. Is there an easy remedy?

What fluids are you storing in squeeze bottles?? I heard the famed Master Fabricator Jesse James say to use pro hair salon supply store bottles… They by design hold some harsh chemicals in them without damage… Don’t know if that help or not, or even if that is what you meant…

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-color/other-products-and-applications/hair-color-accessories/?prefn1=ProductType&prefv1=Applicator%20Bottles|Spray%20Bottles

1 Like

The bottle look like this. To prevent the emptying they need some sort of one-way valve which allows air in, but not out.

1 Like

I am sure Rube Goldberg could come up with something but it probably would take all the space in your garage…

rube

Or you can loosen the cap, or you can put a “dribble” tray under it, or you can use a different dispenser…

That thing is more practical in a laboratory where the temperature does not vary much… As a final solution, just keep a rag handy and sop up the mess…

1 Like

I’m thinking maybe drilling a small diameter hole in the top of the bottle, then fitting it with a rubbery something or other that will block the air from leaving the bottle via the hole, but still allow air in. Similar to how the little rubber gadget works for my carb’s accelerator pump.

I’m hoping the solution doesn’t take up all the remaining space in my shop … lol .

1 Like

Isn’t loosening the top easier?

3 Likes

Or drilling a hole in the bottom would eliminate the issue. The only squeeze bottle I have is for gear oil for the blower. Never lost a drop that I know of. I just use a glue bottle from rockler.

You might want to not use lab bottles used for re agents I think. Just regular bottles. Now I do use outdated specimen containers for touch up paint in the house. Air tight and never lose any paint.

How full are the bottles? Since air is compressible, it seems like underfilling the bottles should leave room for air expansion.

2 Likes

I DIY and don’t use the squeeze bottles. What are you using them for? And why?

1 Like

Some of us buy things like dishwasher detergent and liquid soaps in large containers from Costco or Amazon, and then put them in smaller bottles so it’s easier to handle in the house or on the workbench. Some of the suggestions here talk about one way valves that allow air in but not out, but that’s exactly the reason why things overflow in heat. The air in the bottle expands when it’s heated and forces the product out the spout. We need a way to vent the air, not keep it in. The solution seems to be putting things that are prone to this problem into sturdy containers with strong, leak proof caps so they can hold the pressure without exploding, like the big jugs of stuff you bought in the first place.

Why try to force a solution on the wrong tool for the job? Those dispensing bottles are intended for environmentally controlled areas. Something like this is more appropriate for the job:

Then, you can even squeeze out some air prior to closing the spout to allow for some expansion…

That does not work on these lab bottles, they are designed to dispense liquids with a gentle squeeze. Any expansion forces liquid out of the tube/spout.

George needs to either loosen the caps or use a different type of container.

I too am curious what you are transferring to these containers. I keep everything in original containers. The only exception is oil in a pump type oil can to lubricate bicycle chains, hinges, etc.

I have a pretty well equipped home garage as I still have all my tools from being a retired pro mechanic… So I have a few chemicals, but all are in their original containers… I do have a spray bottle with soap and water for air leaks and such, and a few oil squirt cans for pushing brake fluid and oiling things being drilled… So I am also curious what chemicals are being kept in a hot/cold shop…

How much temperature range is there in San Jose , CA. anyway.

Can’t speak for San Jose, but in the Mojave extreme fluctuations between daytime highs and nighttime lows. My first 4th of July, went to a daytime picnic (shorts and T-shirt), followed by fireworks after sundown. Got very cold during the fireworks.

+1

I agree about changing the bottle type.

The one-way valve would have to still allow air to pass from the inside to the outside when there was only a small pressure difference. It would only block the air inside from escaping when the bottle is squeezed, forcing the valve shut.

Yo never use squeeze bottles? … Folks who have done lab work of most any kind know there’s a reason those bottles are made in that shape. That shape of lab squeeze bottle comes in very handy when you just want to dispense just a small drop without making a mess, especially if the location you want to place the drop has poor access and/or is higher than the bottle. I did that just today in fact, lubing an electric-motor bearing cup. Very poor access b/c the motor is located in a tight-fit enclosure, but I was still able to easily apply a couple drops of oil to the cup b/c of the squeeze bottle’s shape and spout location. They also work pretty good when topping off a differential or manual trans fill plug, any time you need to pump the fluid uphill a little…

1 Like

I don’t know of a pressure-dependent valve, lets out a little, but shuts down under pressure. Do you? It’s a lot more complicated than a one-way valve.

I have had one of those bottles since I started driving. I would keep distilled water in it for when I needed to add water to my vehicle battery.