Shop didn't put the lug nuts back on a wheel after rotating them

‘I went in for a simple oil change and tire rotation on my 2024 CADALLIC CT5. THEY FORGOT TO PUT MY BOLTS BACK ON MY TIRE!!! I drove 3 min down the road and my tire came off!!’ from Nextdoor. Posted a picture.

This was at the dealer.

Last time I got new tires before I drove off I checked the torque on all the lug nuts and pressure in the tires. I’m not bragging, just reinforcing the advice to check everything.

Where on the shop premises did you perform the checks - inside the bay or out in their parking?

Really Chris…
How many shops do you see that allow customers to check their air pressure and lug nut torque before the mechanic pulls the vehicle out of the shop bay???

1st off, anytime a customer is in a shop bay, it is a legal liability, next a shops bay is money, if it is not making the shop money, it is costing the shop money…

Some (most) shops don’t even allow a customer to work on their own vehicle in the parking lot, again liabilities…

Shops sometimes will allow the customer to view the vehicle being worked on from a safe place depending on the shops design… It is easy in those cases for the customer to see the tech torquing the lug nuts…

But when a customer (as a rule of thumb) does double check stuff, it is in the parking lot, not in the service bay…

Their is always exceptions to every rule…

I’m going to venture a guess that the answer nowadays is… zero. The last time that a mechanic allowed me in his shop was back in the '70s.

Yup!

The reason I asked is because some shops/mechs take pride in their work, and hence take offense if a customer takes out a tire gauge, torque wrench, or even a rag to check those items on their vehicle after service has been performed.

Of course I’m sure the customer would not have been allowed to check things inside.

I had work done on my car once and 1 wheels lug nuts came loose after awhile. Loose enough to cause wheel noise. Yes I did not check lug nut torque. So, it does happen.
I have never had a wheel come loose after I tightened lug nuts myself.

In the parking lot. I was within walking distance of the gym so I dropped it off, worked out, picked it up later.