Shade tree mechanics, don't forget to put the wheel under the car for safety

Snowman , It appears you are not the safety expert you claim to be.

3 Likes

Then you should buy better jack stands AND learn how to use them properly.

1 Like

Why is that?

I never remove the jack once on stands. Added safety feature.

Anyone try one of these? - the jack…not the car shown.

What if somebody comes by like what happened to me, pumps the jack one time and lifts it off the jack stand, and the whole thing falls over?

I think you need a better jack and jack stands. and use wheel chocks and always keep the emergency brake on.
when properly on jack stands and wheels chocked and emergency brake on you should be able to remove the jack and the vehicle should not move. I always leave the jack up as a secondary safety precaution, but there have been times I had to move it over a little to get better access.

People ate getting all red in the face so maybe time to just drop it and change the subject. At least he’s not talking about using concrete blocks or tree stumps. It would be hard to argue best practices as being using quality supplemental Jack stands unless on the side of the road.

I thought about getting these. a lot of corvette owners have them. well, the ones that do not have car lifts. they seem to like them. you just need to line them up with your frame. I think they have two types, one to use with your compressor and one that uses electric, if I remember correctly. and they have different length ones for larger vehicles. there is a safety lock for when the vehicle is in the air.

Ooo, I put a 70 Cutlass convertible on concrete blocks, blocks topped with 2X4s, under the frame rails for 15 months—no problem.

Now we can go to another set of anecdotes.

Well Gee…If someone comes by and puts a hand Granade under the car then it’ll fall over too.

1 Like

Concrete blocks crack easily. Only have compressive strength and when topped to spread the load. Putting at 2 x6 on top helped spread the load but you didn’t get under it anyway. Didn’t mean to start anything new. I use ramps myself mostly but don’t completely trust them either.

after what I’ve read recently, I wouldn’t put it past OP to leave the car running and in gear to change a tire…
jack stand would be of little assistance then.

4 Likes

What do you call this kind of argument or logic, other than stupid? It’s not a straw man. We’re back to square one here. Why use a jack stand when it could break too? I should ignore this comment, but people believe it. Stuff like “in the State of California, everything causes cancer” so why bother quitting smoking or such. Or I was in nam for 3 years and lived through that, so smoking a pack a day won’t hurt me. Or there’s no point in worrying about car safety ratings, when you get hit by a semi at 70 you’re going to die no matter what.

Have you seen this happen? It would be VERY rare, compared to a car coming down off of a tire jack.

And this is??

Why would anyone with and IQ over 80 pump up a jack off the jack stand? That’s just absurd. Stick with reality.

Been working on cars for over 50 years and never seen it happen. Never even heard of it happening.

I may have used 2X6s can’t remember. I did it to take weight off the suspension and tires while stored.

What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if?

1 Like

Do you guys think that a cut tree trunk would be good enough to put under a car in case the jack stands fail/fall over? I have been putting the spare tire underneath the car to be extra safe, but it’s annoying to get out of the car.

An important fact I’ve heard about jack stands is that if your car is light enough, it’s possible to strike the lever on the jackstand hard enough to make the lever move and the jack collapse. EXPERIMENT: WARNING! Doing this to your Jack Stands will get you KILLED! - YouTube