Seen the new Z-28?

These limited production models do get people into the dealerships, but i suspect most dealers will only get 1 or 2 of these if they get any at all. Easier to sell a buyer on a loaded Corvette at $75,000 or so than a Camaro unless they want the top of the line. Not counting the inevitable dealer markup of course.

Tell me when my Boxster is ready. Or any of a large number of other cars. This is one of those fool/money separation devices.

“…the point of the $75K Camaro is to sell a lot more $23K Camaros.”

Absolutely. Chevrolet can’t make much on them because so few will be built. Racing has been a big form of advertising for decades Mountainbike, you are correct that it will translate into sales of lower priced models. But I think it will have a halo effect for the SS versions.

@MarkM

Have you seen how relentlessly Porsche nickels and dimes people for options. $295 headlight washer covers, $1200 if you want the air vents painted, $865 if you want a leather shifter boot, and so on. You want to talk about a fool and his money, IMHO the Boxster is better example of that than the Z28 is. Though I do think the Z28 is overpriced.

I liked the Screaming Chicken. It was bold and unabashed. Definitely not a concession to the meek.

@FoDaddy, the Z-28 was built to be track ready for the SCCA Trams-Am 2 class. It might not be overpriced when viewed from that perspective. But as a street car, I agree that it is too expensive. Why buy a Z-28 for the street when you can have a ZL-1for $20,000 less, or a comparably priced Shelby GT?

@same
I hear you. It’s like offering the Scion sports car so they could sell more xD’s.
Every car maker it seems has a signature model to define their image. You can pretend to drive Z28 when driving the base model. What the heck, go to a body shop and for much less then the $55k difference, have them throw on the look alikes.

A V6 Camaro can be found for $30,000 or under depending on the dealership, for a few grand more you can have the V8. The ZL-1 has been the top of the line and seems like a bargain in comparison. On one of the camaro message boards someone has found out all the parts to make your lesser camaro more like a Z-28

Yes, all the German makes are shameless about options pricing. But in the case of Porsche the base models are decently equipped and most of the options are cosmetic or add a little more performance to a car that already has plenty. That’s different from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi where the base models are lacking all kinds of basic niceties that should be standard on cars of that sort. I don’t really expect a lot of luxury features on a Boxster. I might have to hunt a bit to find one without all the fripperies, but I have time (since I’m not going to buy one.)

you would think the non-supercharged race motor might be a bit easier to maintain in a racing setup. less components to check for wear or adjust. class issues too. do you only race in a “blown” class?