1991 Z28 Camaro - How much should I offer?

The seller is asking “$12,000 or best offer”…how much should I offer? The details: '91 Camaro Z28; automatic; only 13,000 original miles; car is 100% stock (not restored or rebuilt at all); 5.7L (350) V8; G92 package; black exterior (original paint); gray cloth interior; hard top (no t-tops). Runs great and car looks totally clean. Owner has all paperwork and original window sticker. He’s had it for sale for a few weeks at $12k, so I think he’s a bit high. What do you think a reasonable offer is? Thanks!

My guide shows the car is worth about 10 but guides are just that; a general direction. A lot depends upon how badly the seller wants to unload the car, what it’s worth to a buyer personally, etc, etc.

The problem I always have with a premium price based on very low mileage is because it leaves the buyer in the situation of what to do with the car.
Becoming a daily driver eliminates the low mileage aspect of it which decreases the value somewhat and also starts bringing on the mechanical gremlins.

They’re nice, dependable cars but this is kind of a tough call.

A 1991 Z28 Camaro is not a collector vehicle so the price is extremely high. The car is only worth what someone will pay for it. It does have value since it’s only got 13K on the clock but needs to be inspected by a competent mechanic to assess the value. A lot of things can go wrong with a 23 year old vehicle even if it’s been properly stored. Right now…there is no way to determine reasonable value because of all the questions that need to be answered.

If it were a 1LE car, in excellent condition, the price tag might be warranted. But as best I can tell, this car is worth $8k-$9k. Assuming it’s in very good condition with no mechanical or cosmetic issues.

Only 13k miles? They’ll want a HUGE premium for it, and unless you want to keep it in a bottle, you’ll be paying lots extra for it and you’ll lose the premium once you start driving it.

And it raises lots of issues about how well all the rubber items have been replaced/maintained.

And it has the R4 A/C compressor which is probably leaking refrigerant as we speak…

No t- roof is rare. A manual trans version would be even more rare

They made 12500 Z28s in 91 so it is not very rare and because of what it is it’s not very desirable either. Most of today’s minivans will outperform it and it’s not old enough to have value as a muscle car. Most of the 80s cars were crap and this one is a left over from a decade of growing pains as they developed the good cars of today.

If you do buy it you can’t drive it or that will take away the only thing that is special about it. It has not kept up with inflation and probably won’t for at least another 2 decades. And then what? Pull the cover off it and try to sell it? You will never get to drive and enjoy this car as it was meant to be so IMO it’s completely pointless to own it.

To answer your question Yes I think it is worth closer to 10 at the most. But I’d take the 12 grand and go buy a good car you can enjoy to drive. Like a 98-02 Camaro SS or Pontiac GTO which you can easily do for 12K. Whatever you buy drive the crap out of it till you wear it out like cars are designed to do.

$12k seems reasonable to me if it really only has 13 k miles on it, and it has been parked overnights in an enclosed garage the whole time. Parked in a carport or – heavens forbid – in the weather? $12 k is too high then.

From looking at Hemmings classifieds this isn’t too bad, a dealer in california is asking around the same for one with more like 85,000 miles with new paint. If it’s been properly stored then maybe, all depends on what you want to do with it.

If the OP is a driver and not a collector they can find something better for that money or pay less.

If you have to ask you shouldn’t buy it. The value here lies with you and not the car. The car itself isn’t particularly valuable unless you like it. If it’s something you’ve always wanted buy it and enjoy it. You can’t put a price on happiness.

This isn’t a car for everyone but if you like this generation of Camaro then you should buy the best one you can find in your price range. Low miles mean more to a collector than a driver but it’s up to the OP

Update…the car sold for $11,500. He was originally asking $12,000.

I think you’re better off not buying that car and the actual buyer is probably going to get a reality check very soon when it soaks in that they overpaid for the car and accumulated miles starts sinking the value.

There’s also the issue of daily use and while the cars are mechanically sound, some of the trim work leaves a lot to be desired. Plastic Allen head screws and plastic fake Allen screw heads that do nothing? Please… :frowning:

Just imagine if you actually put a few miles on the car, and accumulate a few scratches and dings

There goes the value

Unless the owner plans to preserve this thing in a bubble, it’s unlikely to ever be worth more than it is today. Like almost every car, it starts to lose value the day it rolls out of the factory. Unless you are independently wealthy or so smitten with the car you can’t think straight, it’s likely to get used on the street and not be preserved like some dude’s dead head to be resurrected a century from now. It will degrade just like any car and suffer some usage rash like all cars that get driven. For the vast majority of people, the car you can afford is not an investment, it’s an expense…

I never really understood the curio cabinet mentality anyway. Take care of it but drive it. When something breaks or wears out, fix it. Maybe it would help to put in perspective if you imagine your widow’s new boyfriend romping around in the car you never drove because it was too valuable:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: