Seat belts in 2007 Chevy Trailblazer

I have a 2007 Trailblazer and the driver’s side seat belt keeps locking and I cannot pull it loose. Has been replaced once and it is doing it again. Has anyone else had this problem.

Is there a bumper-to-bumper warranty on your Trailblazer? If so, and if the seatbelt is covered, take it to the dealer and insist they fix it.

There is a warranty and the dealer replaced this, but I am wondering, if they are replacing this with the same part #, then is there a problem with that part or could there be another problem?

The fact you reported the problem during the warranty period means the part must be repaired or replaced, regardless of whether the warranty expires or not. If the same problem develops a day after the warranty expires, you still get warranty repairs because the problem cropped up during the warranty period. Insist the dealer fix the problem. Why there is a problem really doesn’t matter, so long as it gets fixed for free.

You also might want to take a look and see if there are any similar reports of this problem on the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency. If not, or even if there is, it wouldn’t hurt to mention this to the agency. Since it is in regards to a safety system, the NHTSA will likely look very closely at it.

That is a great idea. Thanks. I knew there was someone out there who could help.

They’re required to fix this no matter what. Maybe it’s time to make a call to the regional office about this “safety related issue”.
Keep it polite but express some concern over someone being injured or killed because of this. They should get the hint of a lawsuit with that comment.

After my daughter go BSed recently about something on her car I sent an email to corporate and within 4 business days I got a personal phone call from the store manager who was willing to do whatever it took to resolve the issue; and he did.

Something else you might consider here. Maybe there’s a chance the seat belt was never replaced, some moron sprayed some WD-40 in it, called it good, and sent you on your way.
If they legitimately replaced this belt then a record of the warranty claim should be on file with the regional office AND your old belt should still be at the dealer with a warranty tag on it awaiting disposal.
You should also have a copy of the written repair order, which is used for the warranty claim.
Just a thought anyway.

Yes. I’m sorry to tell you I have an 03 and have had 4 new seat belt assemblies. It doesn’t help. It still locks up. As a matter of fact, mine locked up today. They should recall them. This has been a big problem for me the past 4 years. They know me well at the dealer.
V.Clark

Time to read the Owner’s Manual!

In addition to the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty and the Powertrain Warranty, your vehicle (just like everyone else’s) also comes with a separate warranty on the seatbelts, and that warranty runs for a longer period of time. Check the manual for details.

There is also an Emissions System Warranty that runs for longer than the BTB Warranty and the Powertrain Warranty, and there is a Rust-Through Warranty. Read that manual, and you will see that you actually have a number of separate warranties on different parts of the car, each for a different time span.

Knowing these details can be very helpful when you have a problem, so that you avoid having to pay for a repair that is covered. Incidentally, I also recommend reporting this apparent defect to NHTSA, so that they can, hopefully, strong-arm GM into rectifying the problem.

Here is a great site for your new TB questions, especially those that pertain to common problems others may be experiencing- http://forums.trailvoy.com/index.php

Is there a bumper-to-bumper warranty on your Trailblazer? If so, and if the seatbelt is covered, take it to the dealer and insist they fix it.

GM and MOST manufacturers warranty Seatbelts for LIFE. Have been since the mid 80’s.