Sealing up my leaky 1970 corvette

I just got a 1970 Corvette last week and after giving her a good rinse I noticed a couple of leaks. Fixing the leaks around the ttops is easy enough using some universal weatherstripping (I’m not worried about originality) the problem is the outer side of the side windows. After disassembling the doors I noticed the door panels were damp and starting to flake. Replacemen reproduction weatherstripping is rather expensive. Is there a good alternative that will seal it up without costing as much? I noticed so V shaped weatherstripping is available and claims to do the trick but I haven’t seen any reviews of it.

That’s the reason these cars are only driven on sunny days.

Otherwise, start the restoration.

Tester

1 Like

You might want to find a C3 forum, folks may know what to use.

Thanks for the tip

What happened to the 1975 Corvette you wanted to Supercharge ?

Ended up trading it for the 70. Still want to do something similar to the 70.

Fix it right or don’t drive it in the rain. Cheap fix for water leaks will be short lived or ineffective. You bought a very old car with GREAT parts support. Many vintage car owners would love to have that support. You can buy most parts from Ecklers and more. Buy these parts, do it right the first time.

Roof seals are a sore point with these cars. The problem you see with the door cards might be because the plastic liner is gone. There should be a sheet of plastic between the door and door panel. If it is gone the door cards get wet.

1 Like

On the MR2, you can buy off-center T-top guides that will press the T-tops down slightly harder than the stock guides. That stops the leaking entirely about 80% of the time. On mine I went from a river flowing down the driver side window to bone dry.

I bet someone’s made offset guides for the 'Vette too. That repair might not last forever, but for me I’m at 15 years and counting.

I’ve done a half dozen vettes of this vintage. The seal kits are around $200-$250 and you get everything. If one is old and leaking, the others aren’t far behind. Using new seals meant for the car takes a fraction of the time compared to something not intended for the job and you only do it once. I’ve never had a t-top leak after replacing the seals with quality parts.

4 Likes