Seafoaming a Beemer

I would not be so interested in the 325e,I had a 1986 320i (while in Europe) I would fix the headgasket on my old 320i in a second. The e motor was lower powered,lower rpm,but a better mpg engine. I had a 525e also gave many trouble free miles topped out at 115 though.

“Hard to believe…”

Even harder to believe with a 23 year old car with a quarter of a million miles.

Forgive me for going slightly off topic. Why do you think it is relevant that you are female? The way you wrote it, it seems like a justification for your limited car knowledge. Was that your intent?

Don’t run the engine . . . an oil and coolant mixture won’t lubricate properly and will cause major problems inside the engine . . . if it hasn’t already. I’d look for a second opinion with another mechanic, and try to determine if this car is worth the cost of the repairs. Make certain that you tell the new mechanic about your running the engine after the head gasket failure. Good luck. Rocketman

A pet peeve of mine, as I’m also a young woman. When I first started visiting these forums a year and a half ago, I didn’t know much either. I still can’t do a lot of hands on stuff myself, but I’m getting pretty good at understanding and even diagnosing problems now. Hopefully when I have a house, I’ll start doing some of my own work.

I’ve passed the good old 1996 Neon on to my brother (she’s still running strong), and I’m driving my new Mazda3 now. :smiley: Sadly, the windshield just got replaced today, though! It was cracked by a flying stone on my home from my parents’ after Christmas, just shy of two months of ownership. The Neon’s still got its original windshield. Go figure!

OK is certainly one of the most respected members of our community.

Sorry, OK, Just alot of frustration…2 kids, 2 cars, 1 brokedown, the other stuggling…

Thank you, rocketman, I will definately do that.

Trying to think of a good reason…

One more thing . . . if you’ve only blown the head gasket . . . I would get a price on that work plus “freshen-up” stuff . . . the stuff you can replace while the mechanic is doing the head . . . like when I do a timing belt I change the water pump . . . or if you need a new clutch get a new pressure plate, that type of thinking. If you like the car and you’ve taken care of it, no reason why you can’t drive it for another 240,000. Good luck. Rocketman

Boy! I’d hate to work on your car. If anything untowards were to happen to it later, I know who would get the blame for that! Take for (another) instance, the mechanic who put the fuel system cleaner in the Blazer and that “caused 3 breakdowns and 4 fuel filter changes”. Your “proof” is: that one event followed the other event. That is definitely irrefutable proof.
Anyway, I realize you have your problems; but, I wish you’re be more thoughtful in the Blame Game.

For the lack of a nail . . . the shoe was lost . . . for the lack of the shoe . . . the horse was lost . . . for the loss of the horse . . . the battle was lost . . . for the loss of the battle . . . the war was lost. It’s easy sometimes to attribute results to the wrong cause . . . but the OP came here for advice and I think she got it, . . . interesting discussion folks. Rocketman

The…mechanic that put it in also changed the first filter…said it was from all
the sludge in the tank…

Type of car or gender is irrelevant. Bottom line is that Sea Foam does not cause any type of head gasket or engine damage in any way, shape, or form.

And as I stated previously, the mechanic who worked on your Blazer should be in another line of work; lawn care, mall cop, etc.
Any mechanic (word used very loosely) that changes a filter repeatedly due to fuel tnak sludge should not be allowed around a tool box.

OK, OK…I got it. I, my friend, my dad and my mechanic are all idiots.

I feel like such a whipped puppy! Unfairly, I might add. READ CAREFULLY, the mechanic only changed the FIRST filter…
I’m sure you know your stuff OK, but see if you can give some advice without attacking people…it’ll help your credibility.
I agree with the guy with the language problem…some of you need more fiber!

Rocketman, Thank you for the FRIENDLY and SOUND advice.

RE: the Blazer,
The fuel system cleaner did not cause the fuel filter and fuel pump problem. The foreign matter (matter which is not fuel) in the fuel tank contaminated the fuel pump and got pumped to the fuel filter. There was so much fuel tank contamination that it repeatedly contaminated the fuel filter and fuel pump.
Some of us know what should be done when a fuel pump is replaced (removal and cleaning of the fuel tank); but, few mechanics, even otherwise good mechanics, do that. The age of the vehicle, and the greater likelihood of rust, etc., in the fuel tank should have been given greater consideration; but, alas…the world is filled with alases.
Perhaps, you could stand some “economic stimulus”?

No problem . . . stop back anytime, and don’t feel like the other folks here are being tough on you, they’re a very straightforward bunch with usually very good advice. Rocketman

Let me give you a little insight to this Forum, Sea Foam is the darling of this Forum,you posted a comment critical of Sea Foam, hence the “whipped puppy” treatment.

Better to talk mean about other people than a darling can of Seafoam in this forum?

Not likely as sludge would settle it may clog a leak at the bottom of the crankcase but not up around the headers