Scraping noise when driving at high speeds with weight in trunk

I have a 2003 Mazda6 that has been working fine for years. A few months ago I had to swerve and hit the curb with my two left tires, both tires and wheels on that side had to be replaced.

Ever since then, I hear a loud scraping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when driving over dips/bumps at faster than 60mph. The noise happens much more frequently when the trunk is full. I’ve taken it to a couple different places and no one seems to know what the problem is.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

I’m guessing you damaged a strut. That’s the only thing I can think of that might not be visually verifiable.

Sounds like a strut/spring is sagging or weak and is allowing the wheel to come into contact with the wheel well when going over bumps or when there’s a load on the suspension.

-Matt

yep i’m with him, cars are olny made to hold certain wieghts depending on thier classes (sport compact SUV etc) i would guess the bumps/dips over come the spring and the tire is rubbing the wheele well, maybe check for black rubber residue in the wheele well

While you are checking things, see if you have a rear sway bar and if it is bent funny. Compare the parts on the right with the ones on the left too. Even if it has nothing to do with the scraping, it may be worth it.

Thanks for the quick replies…I’m assuming the rear strut is the problem then. How much should the approximate cost be to have the rear struts repaired/replaced?