Scion xa

My car is automatic. The car shift gears ok when moving from 20-40 mph. But when moving from 40-60 it does not shift. The engine is loud because it does not shift. What can cause this?

Marvy22

What year vehicle?

How many miles on it?

You quite possibly have warranty coverage to take care of this. It could be minor or fairly major. Call the dealer and see if you’re covered.

You don’t have the 0verdrive turned off, do you?

The scion xa is a 2004 has over 102,000. The overdrive is off.

A automatic transmission fluid and filter change could help. It should be less than $150. Ignore suggestions to “Flush.”

Well, if you have Overdrive turned off, then that whould explain why it is not shifting. By shutting off the Overdrive feature, you are in effect “locking out” 4th gear, into which it should shift after around 35-40 mph. Since Overdrive reduces gas consumption and also reduces engine wear (and engine noise), I am wondering about why you would turn off the Overdrive.

If you have Overdrive turned off, then that whould explain why it is not shifting. By shutting off the Overdrive feature, you are in effect “locking out” 4th gear, into which it should shift after around 35-40 mph. Since Overdrive reduces gas consumption and also reduces engine wear (and engine noise), I am wondering–Why you would turn off the Overdrive?

My mistake, the overdrive is on at all times.

In that case, I second the advice of hellokit. If it has been a very long time since the transmission fluid was changed, that procedure MAY help. Just don’t expect any miracles.

Also–DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any other transmission chain. Any competent mechanic can handle the trans fluid and filter change, and if that doesn’t produce the desired results, then the next step is to take the car to an independent transmission shop that has been in business for more than 3 years. An independent shop will give you a more honest assessment of the transmission’s condition, will likely charge less, and will undoubtedly do better quality work.