2005/6 Scion XB Transmission problem

I have similar issue on my 2005 xa. When engine is cold (blue light), the computer disables overdrive without showing the light on the instrument panel. Also, when you are going down a hill and apply the brakes hard enough, the computer disables overdrive/downshifts without showing the light on the panel. Brake on a steep hill when your engine is cold and you go nowhere fast. I found out what the computer does from the service manager, after I bought my xa. The idea is to make the engine rev higher, thereby warming the engine sooner.

No more scions for me. I’m buying a toyota next time!

Well, firstly, you are aware that Scions are Toyotas, right?

Secondly, head over to this thread if you want to hear my theory on the “transmission” problems: http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/1/2125094.page#2610901

Also, when you are going down a hill and apply the brakes hard enough, the computer disables overdrive/downshifts without showing the light on the panel.

That’s called grade logic. You’re suppose to downshift when going downhill under most circumstances. The computer does it for you. Most modern automatics are designed to do this.

“No more scions for me. I’m buying a toyota next time!”

Hmmm…This is reminiscent of someone last year who vowed that he would never again buy a Honda after experiencing problems with one of their cars. He declared that his next car would be an Acura.

And, about 2 years ago, someone complained about the problems that he had experienced with his Chevy Blazer and announced that he was going to buy an Olds Bravada to replace the Blazer!

Why people don’t do some basic research before deciding on car purchases is something that I will never figure out. But, then again, I still can’t figure out why so few people ever bother to look at the Owner’s Manual or the Maintenance Schedule that were provided with their car.

You can lead a horse to water, but…