Scion '04 and ''05 "P0012" engine repair questions

So, it wouldn’t be bad enough that my lovely '05 'xA failed its first go-around for NJ state inspection…specifically, it failed for an emission problem.

It’s a “P0012” error code, and, according to the TSB I found online, it’s either an oil control valve or a camshaft replacement issue…and, I’m not covered by the Toyota’s warranty, since I have 60K and change on my car.

I went to my dealership last week, and they treated this single woman as if I were some sort of idiot; they wouldn’t even check out the car unless they hooked it up to see if it was still under warranty, and they were all too pleased to charge me $110 just to see if the engine code was correct…even though I had the TSB in hand!! What a bunch of A-Hats.

So, I went to another Toyota/Scion dealership today in southern New Jersey, and I found out the part would cost $234, but the labor rate was $300 an hour.

I have a great local mechanic who will do the job, but only if it doesn’t involve anything regarding the car’s programming.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has had this problem…and how much it cost.

Thanks, everyone!

I know this is a common problem with Scions, Toyotas and Lexi as well.

What of the engine performance? Your mechanic needs this information: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2726589

Thanks, but my engine isn’t ticking…not making any noise whatsoever.

Actually, my little 103 hP hamster “putt-putt” is doing just fine; it’s the emission deal that’s the expensive problem.

But, thanks for asking!

The information, on dealing with the codes, isn’t for you. It’s for your mechanic. The ticking is just one symptom spoken of in the TSB. Because there is no ticking, doesn’t mean there is no problem.
The problem has been revealed by the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code); but, the problem is NOT the cause. The cause can only be revealed by thorough diagnosis. The TSB is NOT a diagnosis.
DTC P0012 is defined as: "Intake camshaft position timing is over retarded."
If you want an assured fix, you won’t, blindly, throw parts at the problem—which you would be doing if you changed the parts listed in the TSB.
Your mechanic, if able, could get the alldata Pinpoint Charts, follow their instructions, and repair the cause.
There was a diagnostic purpose in asking you how your engine was performing. You don’t have to understand. Your mechanic should.

Thanks, “HelloKit”…I appreciate your response.

I just got my car back from my local mechanic, and sure enough, I won’t have to spend hundreds of dollars on this repair.

He cleaned out the front part of the engine, readjusted the original camshaft where this problem seems to originate from in certain Toyota/Scion engines. He took it for a ride, and guess what…that nasty “Check Engine” light and the “P0012” code went away.

All that for $75 bucks.

I always love it when I win one!

That’s good news. It sounds like your local guy has earned your business. Congratulations.

Hey, “the same moutainbike”!

I’ve been using my “local guy” for almost ten years (one '93 Miata and the '05 Scion xA), and he’s always had my business. I’ve also given him business, too.

The one thing that’s a bit different is that I’m a single woman who just does more research than many when it comes to car repairs.

I’ve been to the dealership where they have the attitude that I’m entirely “out of my head” when I walk in with a “TSB”, and treat me like I’m a little child.

But, after ten years, I’ve maintained a great relationship with my own local “Click And Clack”. I’ll tell them what I think is wrong, we have a conversation (since I’ve done my homework), and my ride is fixed…and, always at a fair rate.

I’m having the same code on my 05 scion xb. I’m also in South Jersey. Who’s your mechanic??

That’s fantastic. We constantly get posts from people who have had problems with their shops. People who are happy with their shops never post. It’s good to hear from one who did.

I have a shop I trust that I’ve know since the late '80s. He’s on the expensive side, but his guys do the job right and use only OEM parts. I also like to stay there while the work is being done so that I can see what they find and approve unexpected work with confidence. Much of my work I do myself, and I have a college automotive program at my disposal when they’re doing a course relevant to what I need done, but I still used the aforementioned shop for things I can’t do.

Happy motoring.