Saturn ignition key problem

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with an ignition key problem. The key won’t turn all the way back to the right and lock into the PARK position any longer. The key is also loose when the engine is running and the key has actually fallen out of the ignition switch twice while I’m driving.
GM sends me recall cards about this problem periodically, but today when I took it to my local Chevy dealer, the guy at the service desk checked the recall in the GM database and said that the recall bulletin says the problem is “PENDING REMEDY” so the official position that GM is taking on this is that they haven’t determined how to repair this yet. Nevertheless, the guy at the service desk said the they could attempt to repair it at a charge of at at least a few hundred dollars.
Does this sound like double-speak to you? It does to me. Does anyone know if this problem is potentially dangerous?

There is a recall on this. Your dealer should replace the lock cylinder and key free of charge.

GM will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicle to see if the key can be pulled out when the ignition is off. If it can, dealers will replace the ignition cylinder and keys, free of charge. The recall began in October 2014. Owners may contact Saturn customer service at 1-800-553-6000. GM’s number for this recall is 14506. Note: Until a vehicle has been remedied, owners and operators are advised that when exiting, to be sure that the vehicle is in "Park, " or in the case of a manual transmission, that the vehicle is in the “Reverse” position and the parking brake is engaged.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Saturn/Vue/2004/recalls/ignition-key-can-be-removed-when-in-on-position-14v490000.shtml

1 Like

Glad @COROLLAGUY1 posted the recall. I first read your post yesterday - the fix seemed to be really straightforward, so I thought maybe I was missing something. Sounds like I wasn’t missing something. Whenever any business makes a situation more difficult than needed, I’m cautious in any future interactions with that business.